The typical tree guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Ax-man
I agree with the consenses here that buying a new chain

Base,

What does NPTC stand for????

You guys from the UK could answer this one for me.

we dont get liscences in the uk we get a certificate of competance..and credit card size id card ....nptc run training course for all aspects of tree work from chainsaw maintanence--too section felling..what they do not teach is tree bioligy...to become certificated in all there courses you would need to spend several thousand ££££s ..personaly i do not care for nptc ithink they rip-off potential tree workers..i prefer my guys too go too a college 1 or 2 days per week and gain either city and guilds arboriculture

ROCKY
I SEE THESE HALF WITS REGULARY they seem to come out with the buggs in the spring..i just listern too there silly comments and keep my mouth shut..they have no place in our industry ..but they will always be there i fear..one thing too always avoid when meeting one of these so called tree topper /gardener /garrbage mover /swimming pool cleaner ..is too engage them in conversation..unless you too be bombarded with how do you do this how do you do that how much would you charge for that: D

my old dad says treat them like mushrooms feed them b******t and keep them in the dark

Last edited:
it ????s me when you turn up to do a qoute and its"we have a saw ourselves just or nephew cant come around just yet"as you stand there looking at a 60ft ????? of a job, or similar sinario,i had one guy with spikes and a polebelt start pinning signs all over town 20%off tree qoutes needless to say he didnt last long,another guy i know works part time and runs his own tree crew from home has own tower chipper etc,he cant even sharpen a saw and wonders why no one wants to work for him

you getting all PC on my A$$ rollacoaster? ha ha :) Though i do agree with you that NPTC is by no mean the be all and end all, as it only teachs you the basics, and the least a tree worker can do is the city and guilds, which i what i have achieved incidentaly, i personally found that it is a very broad introduction to trees and other associated things it starts a need/desire for learning more, which for me makes my job more satifiying, as i like many people it would be nice to go back to school and learn more technical knowledge but unfortunalty i am in no postion to being doing this so i have no option like so many but the learn on the job and from people with years of experiance and also in places like this, as i find it fascinating reading about the different teniques used all around the globe.

"pass all that and bobs your uncle fannys your aunt "

Wow! I think it's easier to get a gun in the states than a top- handle in the UK.:eek:

Originally posted by Base
you getting all PC on my A$$ rollacoaster? ha ha :) Though i do agree with you that NPTC is by no mean the be all and end all, as it only teachs you the basics, and the least a tree worker can do is the city and guilds,

hi base ive got nptc tickets [i did them in the days when they where affordable] but just recently you cant scratch your a$$ near a tree without having to have nptc certs or so they [nptc] think..without doubt city and guilds is a good all round course,and it is affordable. if the HSE put a stop to our friends in the white transit vans and old gits with volvos and trailers etc i might consider sending my guys on nptc courses..personaly ..i liked LANTRA courses the chainsaw course was only £250 for a one week course it was the same as the nptc ticket and they did climbing courses but NPTC stuck there nose in and killed LANTRA off :angry:

You're not a saw hick Rocky. I have a boss that owns his own tree sevice, but he does not know how to sharpen a saw, he takes his chains to a tool shop and they hardly sharpen them, and the chain is burnt and scorched, and they charge him about 3.00$ for a chain on a 24" bar. I swear that on a chains first sharpening, I can make sharper than new. But, like he says, he pays me to put the tree on the ground, not file a saw. A good rule of thumb is if you own a commercial grade chainsaw, you should know how to maintain it. This guy only calls me for removals he can't handle, I take good care of my real boss's saws.

bright side

Look at the bright side Rock, at least the poor shop owner is making his money.

The guy who owns the shop by me would probably starve if it wasn't for all the ATM card guys.

Matter of fact everytime i sharpen a blade it cuts to the right like it's scared of the left!!!!

-Scotty

:eek:

haha

nice.

Marky-Mark gave me a sharpening lesson but it was all for not cause I just can't do it.

Question:

Once the blade is super dull does it make more sense to hit it with the grinder(back past the rounded tip), touch it up with the round file or keep filing with the round file, alone, until sharp?

Re: haha

Originally posted by ScottyStump
nice.

Marky-Mark gave me a sharpening lesson but it was all for not cause I just can't do it.

I hope you are talking about sharping a chainsaw. Try getting a file guide and practice a while with it until you are comfortable with the motion. Free hand filing really is a knack but it can be done by most with some practice. Anything badly rounded over usually comes out better with a grinder to get the angle back and free hand to get it sharp.

to several sharpening classes at tradeshows, ones put on by the chain OEM rep.

WHen you have a damamged cutter they say it is best to use a flatfile to bring it back to true before using the round file to profile it.

thanks

thanks guys.

My local chainsaw shop is owned by a man who either has no personality or he is scared of me. I asked him for some hints but he didn't offer any.

I see him every month or so and ask the same question and I get the same answer, 7.00 to sharpen your chain.

I'll try truing it up with the flat file and then finishing it with the round file.

With my luck it'll start cutting to the left!!

Re: thanks

Originally posted by ScottyStump
thanks guys.

My local chainsaw shop is owned by a man who either has no personality or he is scared of me. I asked him for some hints but he didn't offer any.

I see him every month or so and ask the same question and I get the same answer, 7.00 to sharpen your chain.

I'll try truing it up with the flat file and then finishing it with the round file.

With my luck it'll start cutting to the left!!

Most store owners do not want give sharpening tips out because it is an easy $7.00 to them to sharpen or more for a new chain. Think about first post of this thread guy buys a new chain when his is dull. Think of all the newly sharpened chain this storeowner is probably selling on ebay. It will take some practice to get it right but it will be worth it the first time you hit a dirt pocket after the store has closed.

Originally posted by JonnyHart
So some of you guys use those guides? I never tried one, what exactly do they do?

File guide is supposed to give you an accurate and consistant angle when sharpening a chain. My opinion is they are good to get the feel for the motion and the angle but I can get better edge free hand. If you have never sharpened a chain before they can be helpful to get the feel of angle and pitch. After some practice you will put it in storage.

Back