The typical tree guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only sharpened freehand before. I use a flat file on the rakers or depth guages when the cutter is a little old. If the cutter is sharp, and the saw don't cut great, I'll take a few strokes off the raker. Stihl chain is great, got the angle carved on every tooth. Still think oregon holds an edge better, and it's a little cheaper.Hey, I'm new at this.

All of us have walked before running, this pertaining to near all areas of life. I went from a hack country boy logger, and by persistence, became quite a feller (pun).
Help your fellow man when uyou can. You may save his life. There is so much more to life than being a pro at something.

Jonny,
I've only just started using Stihl chain, mostly have used Oregon. Most everyone here says Stihl holds an edge quite a bit better, stretches less, carries oil better.

I will always respect seniority, had my dad beat it into me. What about oregon or windsor bars? I think the stihls fall apart, and bur up alot more often. Honestly, it seems like oregon chain just holds up to abuse better. I feel that if you are on a budget, you will be more satisfied with oregon. Also, am I a dummy for using an 039 to push a 28" bar? Closest thing to a big saw I got. Thanx for replies.:)

if you cant sharpen a chain ..then what else cant you do ..fall a tree???....sned it up???...etc..etc ..sharpening a chain is at the basics of this industry..if they cant sharpen chain ...they obviously havent learnt much ..i would NEVER EVER let a guy loose with a saw without that person being able too manage the basics of saw maintanance firstly....this industry is full of clowns that give this industry a bad name..weed the hacks out so that ,the good arborists amongst us get the recognition we deserve........

My new groundie swears up and down that he has felled big timber in the Pacific Northwest;. Yet when he has nothing else to do and starts sharpening chains, they always have that worn out rounded edge at the tips of the cutters and you can still see where the edge of the tooth is still worn. Is it just me, but a crisp clean cutter is the only satisfactory way of sharpening a chain. Oh, did I mention this guy has a fit every time that he skips a chain limbing, and swears its because of the saw????

Kenn

:Monkey:

Hey Scott stay away from Gus and go to Joe up at Copras Moutain. He'll give you a lesson in a nice dry building as opossed to my tailgate 90 second tickle in the rain.

Once again thanks for the stump grinding job and I just started to do the roof on the old barn and took the old chicken shed down. Stop by for some eggs, grab a dozen on the front porch.

NPTC and maintenance

ive only been able to afford the treeclimbing and chainsaw nptc units total cost £700 and that was with ESF (european social funding) thats around $1150.....

first thing we were taught in 'saw school' was maintenance...sharpening it, what the parts were and how to fix them, every morning quick q+a session on saws, out for a days cutting then back to teh workshop and more maintenance....

from what i know LANTRA went down the pan and to work as a pro you need NPTC units.......up here we dont have city and guilds. i have done my RFS certificafe in arb.

not being able to sharpen a saw, or understand that chains stretch is ignorance, i know someone who wont stick the saw in the ground because he doesnt want it to kickback.....(i said rubbish all it does is make the bar all dirty and not look as nice:D )

jamie

Stumps kill cutters

I'll learn the hard way. I like to trim the stumps down as far as I can so I don't have to grind as much and that is the key to my problem.

Thanks for the eggs Mark!

Originally posted by Marky Mark
Hey Scott stay away from Gus and go to Joe up at Copras Moutain. He'll give you a lesson in a nice dry building as opossed to my tailgate 90 second tickle in the rain.

Once again thanks for the stump grinding job and I just started to do the roof on the old barn and took the old chicken shed down. Stop by for some eggs, grab a dozen on the front porch.

Marky you better be careful peddling your produce here or Che and I will put in a complaint to Darrin. Anyways this is supposed to be about chainsaws and hardwary kinda thingeys

Frank

I don't know if I met the the " typical tree guy" today, but I think I might have met the " typical climber " today.

We were finishing up some odds and ends for our camp ground client today. Across from the site we were working, was this guy taking down some small dead elms. I was a litlle annoyed they were in my turf, but the campground didn't hire them, the owners of the site did, private thing that I wasn't involved in.

Anyway, I watched this guy from afar, climbing with spurs, no problem with that at all, the only safety this guy had was his climbing line tied around any handy limb that was close, no lanyard for a back-up. It was obvious from the way he moved on the spurs and handled a saw he had some experience. I just went about our work and let him have fun. Wasn't my place to correct him, that he wasn't working safely.

Before we left another guy had the gear on ( old worn stuff) it was obvious the experienced climber was teaching the new guy, this I had to watch. The new guy got a few steps up the tree, teacher was explaining how to advance the rope and some thing like body thrusting to pull slack.

I noticed their taut line had no stopper on the end of it, this is when I went over to at least give this safety tip. After making this suggestion, the reply to me from the experienced one was " I have never had that knot roll out, it only happens on cheap rope, not good rope like this " ( Arbor Plex ). In addition to no stopper on the TL , the knot for the D's on the saddle had two turns around the working side, going to a short tailed TL, no stopper. I don't think I've seen that one in twenty years.

I got no problem with this guy being old school, but the fact that he said he trained people, TL no stopper with short tail, no lanyard, worn old gear, didn't really know how to use his climbing line. This I do have a problem with, how many people has this guy trained wrong, that are going to pass it on to others.

I asked this guy if he knew about a Blakes or a VT, of course he said no, with a dumb look on his face.

I wanted to help, to at least get this new guy going in the right direction, but it was like running up into a brick wall. I just said good luck and left him to his training the new guy.

Larry

HE MUST BE STOPPED!!!:angry: I mean, if thats the way the moron does it ( body thrust while wearing gaffs on a dead elm removal ) , and he don't want to learn anything, fine, F^#@ him. But it's not cool for him to be training somebody. Somebody is really gonna get hurt. If you ever see the trainee again, maybe jot down this site for him. Start him at injurys and fatalities. Yeah man, too typical.:(

To think some of our peers wonder how we beat commercial fishing this year for most dangerous job in America! Definately turn him on to this site. You can learn more in one year on this site than you would in a lifetime with some hack.

They wonder how you get the job even though you had a higher bid. Maybe it was due to the fact that 1) I wore a shirt on the bid 2) I didn't smell of alcohol or tobacco products or 3) I actually asked the customer what they wanted and educated them on the best way to achieve the results they wanted (if possible).

Got a call today to top four trees in someones backyard. Trying to decide if I should return the call and try and educate them or just ignore them.

i think everyone would be surprised how many guys just use a harness and polebelt there are plenty of hacks out there

I watched a couple guys trimming oaks like that last week. No rope, buckstrap lanyard, and spurs. They thought they were pretty cool. I thought they were stupid.:(

Originally posted by xander9727
...[deletion]
Got a call today to top four trees in someones backyard. Trying to decide if I should return the call and try and educate them or just ignore them.

You have NO choice, ... , of course call them and educate. (Or, just tell them they will be put on the ISA hit list.:D

Latest posts

Back