The Unofficial Chainsaw Weight Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, you and young will have MUCH explaining to do come Thurdsay. Hell, everyone KNOWS a 460 weighs more than an 046 LOL.

what are you talking about? thats what MY 460 weights on MY scale with is within 6oz of MY post office scale.

completely drain and cleaned to be shipped overseas.

I'm not taking sides in the issue, but it is pretty easy to see why the saw MM posted weighs more than the one Young posted. One is immaculate and one looks like it came out of the woods. I've taken enough saws apart to know that you can get a few ounces of crud built up around the base of the cylinder and under the chain cover. Stihl's spec's show 14.6 lbs dry, I'd say they are pretty dang close. To get to the point of where this has gone over a few ounces one way or the other is outright ludicrous and crosses the line of sensibility. I've been as tough on Brad as anyone in the past, but by golly I sure don't see anything out of line that has gone on in public forum. To accuse someone of lying about a photo they didn't even originally post is way off base.
I for one could care less that a 681/7900 has a better power to weight ratio than a 460, that's always been pretty evident. The 681/7900 is a great saw, however there will never be a 1/10 of them sold compared to the 046/460.
A new saw out of the box is the only way to accurately compare weight, same set of scales, I can guarantee my "used" saws will always weigh more than a new one due to the build up of debris in the flywheel cover/behind the muffler/base of the cylinder/under the chain cover and in all the little crooks and crevices. To not acknowledge that and turn this thread it to a hate spewing/personal attack/agenda thread just crosses the line of sensibility.
Good lord, it's worse than a teenage boy, "my pecker is bigger than your pecker". Who really cares, I just hate to see a person make an unnecessecary azz out of themselves. Might as well plan on this thread being deleted due to the personal threats.

I'm not taking sides in the issue, but it is pretty easy to see why the saw MM posted weighs more than the one Young posted. One is immaculate and one looks like it came out of the woods. I've taken enough saws apart to know that you can get a few ounces of crud built up around the base of the cylinder and under the chain cover. Stihl's spec's show 14.6 lbs dry, I'd say they are pretty dang close. To get to the point of where this has gone over a few ounces one way or the other is outright ludicrous and crosses the line of sensibility. I've been as tough on Brad as anyone in the past, but by golly I sure don't see anything out of line that has gone on in public forum. To accuse someone of lying about a photo they didn't even originally post is way off base.
I for one could care less that a 681/7900 has a better power to weight ratio than a 460, that's always been pretty evident. The 681/7900 is a great saw, however there will never be a 1/10 of them sold compared to the 046/460.
A new saw out of the box is the only way to accurately compare weight, same set of scales, I can guarantee my "used" saws will always weigh more than a new one due to the build up of debris in the flywheel cover/behind the muffler/base of the cylinder/under the chain cover and in all the little crooks and crevices. To not acknowledge that and turn this thread it to a hate spewing/personal attack/agenda thread just crosses the line of sensibility.
Good lord, it's worse than a teenage boy, "my pecker is bigger than your pecker". Who really cares, I just hate to see a person make an unnecessecary azz out of themselves. Might as well plan on this thread being deleted due to the personal threats.

You dont know nothing about that saw that I put on the scales.....

Wow, you dudes are crazy. Gotta do a backyard bbq and watch the fun. I received two saws in the mail today. Both non runners, both complete and stinking of gas and oil, no fluids. Power head only. Craftsman 2300CVA and Poulan S25CVA. Both weighed exactly the same, 9.6 lbs. I was surprised, thought for sure the Poulan would weigh more. This was on my wives fancy new scale. If you don't like the #, flame away. I could use the entertainment, and the distraction, cause the wives fancy new diet isn't working any better than her fancy new scale.

Husqvarna 435R

Powerhead only
435-1_1866.jpg

Powerhead + B&C:
435-3_1868.jpg

what's the secret?

Enclose the URL in image tags: (img)url(/img), substitute [ ] for ( ) in my example. Easier to use the Insert Image tool (hover), and paste the url into the dialog. The url MUST have an image suffix (tif, gif, png, jpg) to work, also works for some videos. Click quote on any photo/video posting to see examples. Works equally well with internal or external url's, mine are external.

You are now dangerous. ;)

Enclose the URL in image tags: (img)url(/img), substitute [ ] for ( ) in my example. Easier to use the Insert Image tool (hover), and paste the url into the dialog. The url MUST have an image suffix (tif, gif, png, jpg) to work, also works for some videos. Click quote on any photo/video posting to see examples. Works equally well with internal or external url's, mine are external.

You are now dangerous. ;)

Thanks a bunch.

Why would the weight be different between the 046 and 460? Same saw. I have both but no electronic scale to weigh.

Depends on how old the 046 is - the weren't all the same thing, the early ones had less weight and a lower power rating. The same was the case with the 044.

I seen 2 posts for the 365 showing about a pound heavier than the specs in the manual. Does the year make the difference on weight or is the owners manual incorrect? I think Neal mentioned removing the clutch cover and spikes put some saws close to factory spec. Is that the situation here?

Back