The Unofficial Chainsaw Weight Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
75# Scale on eBay $23

There are smaller weight ranges, but you mentioned the old vets, you may have a 2-man saw to weigh. ;)

Thanks for the link. All the saws I have now are under that limit (thank God). I have a friend's Mall 12A with both one and two man bar/chain setups. That's the biggest saw in the shop right now. Even with the two man bar (which is relatively short........somewhere around 36"-42" by guess) it can't weigh over 40 pounds. A real lightweight. I'll get it on a scale and post the weight when I get it back together and running. Most of my old saws are 25 pounds or lighter for the powerheads. With bars and chains they're quite a bit heavier, but not over the limit of that scale.:D

Even with the two man bar (which is relatively short........somewhere around 36"-42" by guess) it can't weigh over 40 pounds.
We'll believe that when we see a pic of it on the scale.

My 435 weighs ~13# all gassed up, after 6 miles of an 8-mile trail clearing trip, I hit the wall. Stashed it under a blow down and came back the next morning to finish.

797G weighs 32lbs power head and with the big 42" Oregon roller nose you need a crane and three Red Bulls to lift her at a whooping 38lbs of pure yellow power:laugh:

For gear drives, I have a Homelite XP1130, a McCulloch 650, and a Homelite Super Wiz 77 to weigh (in addition to the Mall 12A). Longest bar I have to weigh right now with 'em is a 36" hardnose. Most of the longer bars I have for these saws are 30-32". I have a 48"-ish bar that will be weighed with the XP1130 once I get its nose milled for a Windsor sprocket tip.

For big direct drives to weigh I have a Homelite 750 (with a 33" sprocket nose), a Homelite 900D, a McCulloch 790, a Mono/Wards WD60, a Homelite EZ-6 and a Homelite XP1020. Everything else I have is smaller/lighter than those. Homelite XL900 series, XL-12 series, McCulloch SP-81 (with a 32" B/C), McCulloch PM700, McCulloch 7-10A, Poulan 245SA and 306A, Homelite Super E-Z's (including one "PNW version" with a full wrap....LOL), and various Poulan XXV series top handles. I'll weigh 'em all and post up once I get an accurate scale.

Last edited:
It's one of the 'smaller' Mall gear drives. 82-ish cc single. The transmission and 24-ish inch "one man" bar/chain weigh more than your plastic 435 Husky though...:D
I'll bet the bar alone weighs more than my plastic 435. Long live plastic! :msp_tongue:

since teh 372 and 346 has been shown,, here are 2 more,, both are with b/c and fluids,,,the first one is the 235 huskie and the 2nd one is a 37cc chinese saw

005-12.jpg

004-14.jpg

Well, since I have a new 576AT could someone with scales weight one. I am curious.
My guess is it weighs 14lbs 14oz.

SO, you guys gonna just keep spamming the thread with speculative mac weights, or are ya gonna post some photos? ;)

Proof positive, shipping scale, PHO weight PM700.
attachment.php

I doubt the newer plastic fantastic saws are much lighter than this saw, too bad I don't have a Dynomometer at my disposal to test torque on this specimen vs my 372XPW, or the 044Magnum I got with this saw. I bet the Mac would out pull in a apples to apples contest. They just seem to have more pulling power to me.

Proof positive, shipping scale, PHO weight PM700.
attachment.php

I doubt the newer plastic fantastic saws are much lighter than this saw, too bad I don't have a Dynomometer at my disposal to test torque on this specimen vs my 372XPW, or the 044Magnum I got with this saw. I bet the Mac would out pull in a apples to apples contest. They just seem to have more pulling power to me.

A lot of it has to do with wide ports, less exhaust timing, and high compression. Though, those sort of go hand in hand in my porting experience. You lose some top end, but can pull a longer bar and be more heavy-handed. I have a 444SE that is pulling 226 psi right now. I was considering giving it more exhaust timing, but I want it to pull a 3/8 chain on an 18" bar in the softwoods. That would be more useful to me than a cookie cutter when clearing trails in the PNW, especially when you are pulling bigger chips with the rakers at .045 with the bar buried. Besides, it's not like she doesn't scream as it is.

Last edited:
I have a 444SE that is pulling 226 psi right now.
226PSI!?! Wow that is pulling some serious manifold pressure! I would hate to be on the receiving end of a backfire on startup with that puppy! Prolly rip a guys arm out of joint! I do like my 372XPW, but I have a "thing" for them yeller saws. i am on a mission to resurrect as many old macs as I can find. I am up to 4 so far, I am sure I will be able to find more:rock:

226PSI!?! Wow that is pulling some serious manifold pressure! I would hate to be on the receiving end of a backfire on startup with that puppy! Prolly rip a guys arm out of joint! I do like my 372XPW, but I have a "thing" for them yeller saws. i am on a mission to resurrect as many old macs as I can find. I am up to 4 so far, I am sure I will be able to find more:rock:

It's already bitten me once, mostly because the handle on it is tiny. But it's nothing like a big high comp saw. The old 7-10 I had must have had somewhere in the vicinity of 200 psi or more. You could pick it up from the starter handle and it wouldn't budge. That thing had a ton of torque. It never bogged on me. Here it is in some pretty hard Eucalyptus in Clovis, CA(they get roughly 6" rain a year). I am being very heavy handed with it, too.

[video=youtube;uv7EYpaUrZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv7EYpaUrZg[/video]

Latest posts

Back