The usual... Stihl 660? or Husqvarna 390?...based on intangibles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coho

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy one or the other and don't have a particular affinity for one brand or the other. I've used both brands but i used different saw models and sizes that were older. In addition i don't have enough total experience with various makes & models to have a substantial knowledge/experience base to reference. Local dealer prices are $1240 for the stihl and $1375 for the husqy.

I'm not looking for a simple and unjustified "stihl is better" or something like that. I'm looking for either brand, or more hopefully, model-specific things that would only be noticed after owning/using/running/maintaining the saw; not things that are on a specsheet or that you would see while holding them in the dealer's lobby. Total cost of ownership costs, reliability of particular parts with certain models, unrealized conveniences, and the like.

To give you an example, I've had some experience with the husqvarna 385 and if memory serves me correctly, through general saw use/vibration, and in repeatedly servicing the saw, i found the the left screw for the chain brake lever (the screw that doubles as a screw for the flywheel/pull start mechanism housing) would very often fall out...rendering the brake, and the saw useless until you got another screw. We used 4 385's on our crew, and all the saws had different users...but the situation was still common with everyone. The thing is...you wouldn't know a problem like this from the showroom or a spec sheet. Although i notice the 660 and the 390's chassis design is identical to the 385 in that they all have that one shared screw...i'm wondering if the stihl's have the same problem and/or if there's other things that are better or worse off with either brand/model?

So basically i'm looking for any user justified intangibles that are either a pro or a con either for stihl/husqy, or more appropriately, for or against either of those two specific models.

Thanks in advance,

Coho

hmmm..

thanks for the tip. converting from u.s. dollars would give a price of $876 canadian, which is a far cry from what i was quoted.

the weird thing is that the quote was very explicit....390xpgw-30? *shrugs* go figure...

i have yet to run a 390, but i have spent alot of time at the helm of a 395 and 066. the 066 will have more power than a 390, and my thoughts have always been that the 660/066 has more torque, while the 395 does its work by revving higher. ive had the fuel tank on 395's leak because of the plastic weld across the bottom opened up, and ive had brand new 395's with faulty tank vents that allowed the saw to vapor lock.but the husky does have a better air filter, but...i can work on a stihl because i have been around them...and i lean more towards the 660. just personal preference. but i would think if you were looking for an almost identical saw to the 066 you might want to look at the 395. IMO, good luck

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like your quote up in Canada is for one with the heated carb/handles. The one quoted at Bailey's is the standard version. Expect to pay a bit more for those extra features and factor in shipping.

Not sure if track record is an intangible... but the 066/660 has one heck of one.... and if you fix your own stuff, a lot of used parts available - and new at your dealer...

-yeah, i like the idea of more torque in the stihl...might be a little more forgiving i'd think

-ahhh...good point...i was wondering what the "G" stood for...i'll have to get another quote for the standard as i'm not interested in heated handles

-a large market for used parts usually implies accessibility and lower costs...that's definately a plus

You probably won't be too concerned with resale value, but if you are, the 660 may be the better saw for that factor. Also, as already said, the 390 is not quite in the same class as the 660. If you are regularly pulling longer bars (36" plus) and have them burried in big wood, one of the intangibles will be how long you are in the cut.

Another intangible is definitely the image factor. In my neck of the woods, Husky's are respected but just don't get respect.... if you know what I mean. That's different just a 100 miles up the coast but you may consider it when you pull onto the log deck. You also may think about that situation where you lose the bar nut and don't have a backup. If all the guys are running Stihl's, its usually just an "Oh Cr*p, somebudy throw me an extra nut!" Back to cutting. If you have the only Husky on the deck, you are outta luck. Kinda like bringing a softball to a baseball game. You just don't get to play. :cry: :cry: :cry:

+1

You probably won't be too concerned with resale value, but if you are, the 660 may be the better saw for that factor. Also, as already said, the 390 is not quite in the same class as the 660. If you are regularly pulling longer bars (36" plus) and have them burried in big wood, one of the intangibles will be how long you are in the cut.

Another intangible is definitely the image factor. In my neck of the woods, Husky's are respected but just don't get respect.... if you know what I mean. That's different just a 100 miles up the coast but you may consider it when you pull onto the log deck. You also may think about that situation where you lose the bar nut and don't have a backup. If all the guys are running Stihl's, its usually just an "Oh Cr*p, somebudy throw me an extra nut!" Back to cutting. If you have the only Husky on the deck, you are outta luck. Kinda like bringing a softball to a baseball game. You just don't get to play. :cry: :cry: :cry:

what he said!!!!!

It sounds like you are already leaning towards the Stihl 660. I have seen them in action and they can be scary fast. I know you won't be disappointed. A little heavy for my taste as an all day saw but the Husky isn't much better.

I can't speak for the Husky 390 as I've never seen one in action.

I agree that the availability for used parts would probably be significant better for the Stihl 660. Just do a search on ebay 066/660.

One factor might be how long of a bar you are hoping to spin? A little extra power goes a long way with a long bar.

-planning to run a 32-36 inch bar...

-yeah, good point on the length of time it takes for you to do your cuts

-things will certainly become more interesting tomorrow when i get a price for the non heated husqy

-i just want to add that the responses here have been great....beyond expectation, especially so soon. A hell of a lot better than the linux forums i tell ya

-planning to run a 32-36 inch bar...

-yeah, good point on the length of time it takes for you to do your cuts

-things will certainly become more interesting tomorrow when i get a price for the non heated husqy

-i just want to add that the responses here have been great....beyond expectation, especially so soon. A hell of a lot better than the linux forums i tell ya

If you are cutting primarily hardwood or even softwoods with the 32" bar burried, you can't go wrong if you opt for the extra displacement. If you are running the longer bars but primarily cutting smaller diameter wood (28" or less), you may not notice as much of a difference, unless its hardwood.

For price comparison sake: Here in northern CA, I picked up my 660 with full-wrap handle, a 36" ES bar, and square ground full-skip chain for $999.00 (plus a free dual port muffler). Just got the saw a little over a month ago and could not be happier.

Another intangible: Stihl timbersports. Gotta love it.

You might want to check out the Husky 395xp as I believe it is more on par with the Stihl 660.

already posted,,,,, :welcome: and heavier to kug around,, they are very powerful however!!! but they are just butt ugly!!!

+1 :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The term "coyote ugly" comes to mind when I look at a "Husky". Just kiddin' all you husky fans... How could I resist the bait RiverRat put out there? I really do respect the brand and have often thought about picking up the venerable 372 before she goes the way of the 090.

Stihls I/B clutch sure makes sproket changes easier.

not just sprocket changes, but throw a chain in the middle of a cut and it gets caught in the log, try to get the bar off the saw to get it out with a husky outboard clutch PITA. the stihl is about a lb lighter, had having run both of them professionally i can tell a different with that. and the stihl doesn't seem to hurt my ears as bad because it isnt the high rpm zinging of the 395

Here is the way I look at it, and I am old school. If I had unlimited funds and went shopping for those saws, the Husky would be the newer, flashy, faster, type model. The Stihl would be the time tested, rock solid veteran. They both do the same thing, just a little differently. I prefer the "feel" of the Stihl product, and that comes from years of using them. I think a big saw should be heavy, and if you can't carry it around, get back on the porch with the pups! Also, in my experience, if you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and your saw needs something, the local small engine/gas station/grocery store/etc. will probably be familiar with Stihl and have small parts on hand. At least here in the east, the Husky does not share the same affection. Both are excellent products. My 2 cents!:rock:

Yeah, I'll go along with the crowd and suggest the 660. I like the feel of it a lot better than the huskies, BUT I've always run Stihls so they're what I'm used to. I think the 3/4 wrap on the Stihl gives you more control of the saw when you have it clutch side up getting ready to lay a cut into a tree. It gives you leverage in another axis. Plus, it isn't as in the way of the clutch cover, bar nuts, or the chain should you throw it. But, this is just my opinion. Some people prefer the true full wrap. I love my 660 and loved the 066 I had before it. Ten thousand northwest loggers can't be wrong... (ducking for cover)

Back