The What Stihl Is This Game? (Not Very Original, But Fun)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryd66

Reaction score
OK! Guys! I got a buddy whose saw I rebuilt last summer, took his sad little 262 and turned it into a 272 he loved it, I knew his financial situation so I built it from spare parts I had laying around, all but the piston, rings, and case seals. So I wasn't too worried when all he could come up with was $30.00, he's a buddy and winter was coming and he need his wood saw so I called it even. However apparently he didn't, he showed up last night with a really solid Stihl bottom end, it is missing all the covers, the piston and cylinder, the whole intake and exhaust, but the bearings are good and solid, and the crank and rod haven't been burnt looks to be just enough to start a good build on, problem is I am a idiot when it comes to IDing Stihl saws, I can tell you what husky it is from a block away(this is husky country), but a stihl DUH!
Anyway I got hopes about what this and I am bringing the numbers here I know one of you guys know what this saw is if not a bunch of you. The number on the case is 116813081, it has a bosch ignition on it. part number 1 217 280 113, and the stihl clutch hub is part number 1122 160 2900.
I measured the piston hole in the case, it was a rough measurement but close, I got 2.180 inches after running it through a metric converter I got 55.327 mm, and a rough (real rough) stroke measurement of 1.50 or 38.09mm. Given that all the numbers on the mounts start with 11xx I am guessing it in the 044 to o46 class but I am hoping you guys can narrow it down more with the numbers I have given.
Thanks guys it is good to be back, truth is I kinda missed you guys even.......Saw Troll!

You'll need more data for an id (pics always help). The clutches are often shared across series. For instance the same clutch fits an 020T, MS200T, 021, 025, MS250, etc. Not sure what all saws may share the clutch part on the saw you have...

The first four numbers of the part number usually indicate the saw family.
Have you asked the guy you got it from what saw it is? (and if he can come up with any other parts that may be friends with it?)

look at the case again to see if those numbers are correct. Is there a flywheel? May have to pull it to find the numbers but that would be a strong clue...

Did some research and it appears the clutch is only used on the 1122 series so as stated above you probably have an 064/066/MS660. None of those use flippy caps so that's no help. (the MS650 is a possibility too but since you don't have a cylinder or piston, I'm sure it would become a 660)

Unless you really want a major project, you'ld probably be best off financially selling this saw for parts since it's missing so much. Even aftermarket parts would set you back quite a bit by the time you collect all the bits and pieces.

OK! Guys! I got a buddy whose saw I rebuilt last summer, took his sad little 262 and turned it into a 272 he loved it

What did you get into with this swap? I didn't think these shared the same chassis?

or looking for one with a burnt out P&C, bad crank/bearings or broken case. But I wonder why it's stripped - is there something wrong with the case... Also pull the clutch and have a good look at the seal seat - it's a steel insert pressed into the case and can flog out around the case. Problem is it sometimes only shows from the inside

Thanks guys for all the input I appreciate it. You gave me the answer I was hoping for 066/660. I don't know much about its history neither do es the guy I got it from he just found it and some other stihl parts that are supposed to be forth coming in a storage shed and brought it to me. The brake handle is gone and so are all the stickers, I can tell you that the back half of the air box closest to the cylinder is riveted to the case, and the on/off control is part wire part plastic the switch is on the left, where it should be, but the electric kill contact is on the right side of the carb.
As far as building it goes, I have built worse, and at the moment I got a freshly built 372xp with a big bore kit that I can sale to raise the money, and besides I am in no hurry. We are talking the 066 here I have always wanted one so sacrafices will be made! I will work on getting pictures up if I can get them to upload this site has changed alot since I was here last I will work on it.
The 262 I built was a old one with the dual coil style ignition and I know there are 2 versions of the 262 one with a small bar bolt pattern that is just tiny, and the older one with the larger bar bolt pattern the 52 mm 272 cylinder bolts right down on the older one. I like this build its kind of a sleeper build your buddies don;t know what to think when you show up with a 262 wearing a 28" bar, and then have it run with their 372's, but is has a weak point in fact all saws of this class have the same weak point the clutch side seal goes out frequently, I always split the case on this build and put new bearings gaskets and crank seals in it. Then I order couple of extra sets of crank seals and keep them close, I have had to replace the clutch side seal on the tailgate of my truck a lot. I have measured out the bearing races, I even had a machinist buddy check the case out for being square. and the saws still destroy the clutch side seal. I just avoid that series saw, the 288 is in that series but it doesn't have this problem I think it's because the cranks are different, I don't know I just know I am not a fan because of this issue.
That's another strange part about this Stihl all the seals look good in fact really good, however there is a gouge on the outside of the flywheel that looks like something hit it while it was running maybe the starter recoil assembly came apart while it was running. There is a good chance that this saw was used to cut timber or clear out beatle infestation something on it broke, another saw got pulled out, they just never got around to fixing itand then they started robbing parts until they were down to the case, I can't really say, i just know what I got.

20150526_184917.jpg 20150526_184931.jpg 20150526_184917.jpg 20150526_184931.jpg Here are some pictures, but I am pretty sure it is a 066/660.

Attachments

• 20150526_184946.jpg
    20150526_184946.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20150526_184950.jpg
    20150526_184950.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20150526_184950.jpg
    20150526_184950.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20150526_184959.jpg
    20150526_184959.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20150526_185204.jpg
    20150526_185204.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20150526_185211.jpg
    20150526_185211.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 11
Thanks guys for all the input I appreciate it. You gave me the answer I was hoping for 066/660. I don't know much about its history neither do es the guy I got it from he just found it and some other stihl parts that are supposed to be forth coming in a storage shed and brought it to me. The brake handle is gone and so are all the stickers, I can tell you that the back half of the air box closest to the cylinder is riveted to the case, and the on/off control is part wire part plastic the switch is on the left, where it should be, but the electric kill contact is on the right side of the carb.
As far as building it goes, I have built worse, and at the moment I got a freshly built 372xp with a big bore kit that I can sale to raise the money, and besides I am in no hurry. We are talking the 066 here I have always wanted one so sacrafices will be made! I will work on getting pictures up if I can get them to upload this site has changed alot since I was here last I will work on it.
The 262 I built was a old one with the dual coil style ignition and I know there are 2 versions of the 262 one with a small bar bolt pattern that is just tiny, and the older one with the larger bar bolt pattern the 52 mm 272 cylinder bolts right down on the older one. I like this build its kind of a sleeper build your buddies don;t know what to think when you show up with a 262 wearing a 28" bar, and then have it run with their 372's, but is has a weak point in fact all saws of this class have the same weak point the clutch side seal goes out frequently, I always split the case on this build and put new bearings gaskets and crank seals in it. Then I order couple of extra sets of crank seals and keep them close, I have had to replace the clutch side seal on the tailgate of my truck a lot. I have measured out the bearing races, I even had a machinist buddy check the case out for being square. and the saws still destroy the clutch side seal. I just avoid that series saw, the 288 is in that series but it doesn't have this problem I think it's because the cranks are different, I don't know I just know I am not a fan because of this issue.
That's another strange part about this Stihl all the seals look good in fact really good, however there is a gouge on the outside of the flywheel that looks like something hit it while it was running maybe the starter recoil assembly came apart while it was running. There is a good chance that this saw was used to cut timber or clear out beatle infestation something on it broke, another saw got pulled out, they just never got around to fixing itand then they started robbing parts until they were down to the case, I can't really say, i just know what I got.
Sounds like a 162 to me.( in the case the 272 build)

Latest posts

Back