The Worst Job in the World?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not such a bad job really, and the contractors that service the porta-johns in the big fire camps are making top dollar.
The going rate for the truck is $101/hr and the operator gets $33/hr. Owner/operator makes a pretty penny by the time a summer is over.

I worked for a guy when I was in high school cleaning the grease traps at local restaurants. I'm not talking the little "insinkerator" kind, but the
industrial 20-60 gallon grease traps built into floors or basements of the largest kitchens. Dead rats, remains of slaughtered animals, sewage,
and dentures were among the many lovely things I shoveled out of them by hand. We even found a glass eye in one.

Nothing makes me gag now, nothing.

Okay, you win. Eccccch.

A few years ago one of those trucks that hauls that grease flipped over on the freeway here and you could smell it for miles for a week and it took like 2 days to clean up the mess.

That's not such a bad job really, and the contractors that service the porta-johns in the big fire camps are making top dollar.
The going rate for the truck is $101/hr and the operator gets $33/hr. Owner/operator makes a pretty penny by the time a summer is over.

I worked for a guy when I was in high school cleaning the grease traps at local restaurants. I'm not talking the little "insinkerator" kind, but the
industrial 20-60 gallon grease traps built into floors or basements of the largest kitchens. Dead rats, remains of slaughtered animals, sewage,
and dentures were among the many lovely things I shoveled out of them by hand. We even found a glass eye in one.

Nothing makes me gag now, nothing.

I worked at a hospital for several years. Had to help out with that several times. That is by far the most foul smelling stuff in the world.

Is it in their contracts that they have to pump during meal times when the wind is blowing the smell towards the eating area? Because that is what seems to happen. :msp_sad:

I didn't mean anyone in here i mean OLD guys like my grandpa telling me i dont need all that junk on to climb a tree because he never wore it. Sorry i didn't mean for it to come out that way. And you guys aren't old you're seasoned vets that i have learned from while being here so don't skin me.

Ok we're cool then.

I worked at a hospital for several years. Had to help out with that several times. That is by far the most foul smelling stuff in the world.

Hard to imagine anything worse than taking the lid of an offal hole in the middle of summer, but I'm happy to take your word for it.

Is it in their contracts that they have to pump during meal times when the wind is blowing the smell towards the eating area? Because that is what seems to happen. :msp_sad:

Not in their contract. It's how they get their giggles.

[SUB][/SUB]
I have a problem with that.

I am more than willing to get into the industry. But every logger or falling contractor I've talked to this year so far always asks, "how much experience do you have?"

And I tell them the truth; "Some timber falling experience and a lot of hazard tree falling experience."

"Well, you need more experience."

Yes, I do. But, I can't get experience if you don't hire me!

. Thats why you need to get on settin chockers under a tower .

When I was a student I worked now and then as a stevedore on the docks. At the time you just had to be early on the harbor main gate and with a little bit of luck the foreman picked you up to work for a day. Loading and unloading was not a bad job at all. But I saw there people who most definitely had the worst position of them all. They were called the "Mau-Mau-Men". Their job was to crawl into the hull, the space between double bottom ship's two bottoms. They cleaned the dungeon up, sandblowed the rust off and sprayed a new set of poison paint. There's no power on earth that could get me into a place like that alive.

Mau-Mau-Men were quite impressive looking Mugwumps themselves too. I guess they had to be more scary than all the nameless creatures they might meet inside the ship bottom. Not a bit of charming petit bourgeois air around them. They appeared on the docks with a lunatic girlfriend, put on a sealed suit, threw up and climbed in. After they finished the job and got paid, they disappeared God knows where, and didn't come back before they had spent their very last penny on beverage and gear.

[SUB][/SUB]

. Thats why you need to get on settin chockers under a tower .

Ain't had much luck with that either.

Most of the ones I've called are full up or they don't answer/callback.

And then there's gettin' to any jobs. I may just be better off for this season stocking eggs in a grocery store and saving for next season.

Last edited:
Jameson; I'm telling you the truth , there isn't a man in the world that is gonna Give you your first GOOD cutting job . You have to earn the right to work your guts out in the most dangerous profession in America and Canada . Are u married , got kids ? If not u can tramp around . . Get in tower loggin country.

I started in the brush Pre Commercial Tree thinning out of Ketchikan , Already had a sub contract when I got out of the Coast Guard .
One of the men in the church I was attending was one of the owners of a big loggin company ..
I worked my butt off thinning and went broke . But I hung around fallers when I was in town . Bought a set of climbing gear , learned how to climb ( Thank God for Lies Logs and Loggers )
Reid Timber was starting up a new side . My 1st morning waiting for the crummy I saw them setting up strike picket signs at the LP Spruce mill across the street . That was the last day that mill worked . .

It took me 6 years to get broke in cutting . But with God's help I did .

As an old faller I worked with in Tolstoy Bay would say , you just gotta keep leanin into er !

Jameson; I'm telling you the truth , there isn't a man in the world that is gonna Give you your first GOOD cutting job . You have to earn the right to work your guts out in the most dangerous profession in America and Canada . Are u married , got kids ? If not u can tramp around . . Get in tower loggin country.
!

There is always the exception that proves the rule, my first logging job was as a faller.
Family connections and maybe a bottle of whiskey or two, were involved.

How about the guy that pumps out the portable toilets? Now there's somebody that really wants a job.

OK, Time for a funny story.

A guy I work for occasionally does a little logging, construction and puts in and repairs septic systems.
This one time we got a call at a shake mill. They had backed something onto the septic tank and partially collapsed the lid. He called the pumper truck to come and pump the septic tank. We lifted the lid and they proceeded to pump it out except there was a big ball of stuff to big to suck up in the tank.Pretty rank about then and I'm trying to keep my distance but the guy on the truck volunteers to jump down in the tank and break this ball up with a shovel. He did have waders.
My boss notices the guy doesn't have gloves and offers him his.
Pumper guy says "No thank you, those rubber gloves make your hands stink.":fart:

How about hauling turkeys? Live turkeys. I did that one year just before Thanksgiving.

We'd go out to the turkey ranches at night, herd the turkeys into holding pens, and throw them into cages stacked up on flat bed trailers.

Ever try to herd a turkey? And when you grab one and go to throw it way up over your head into a cage they automatically void themselves of every body fluid and substance they own. The boss told us to bring heavy gloves, rain gear...and big wide brim hats. That was good advice.

I did that for a month until all the turkeys were hauled. We had a ham for Thanksgiving dinner...at my request.

did a similar thing as a kid , called it chicken pickin . a nite or two we would load up in a buss go out to the big barns grab two or three by the leggs per hand. you get to hate the damn things. made 25 to30 bucks fore a few hours work. which for a teenager at that time was good money.

did a similar thing as a kid , called it chicken pickin . a nite or two we would load up in a buss go out to the big barns grab two or three by the leggs per hand. you get to hate the damn things. made 25 to30 bucks fore a few hours work. which for a teenager at that time was good money.

Yup. We'd been weathered out of the woods early that year and I had kids to feed. They paid us cash and the money was really good for that time, 1970 or so. LOL...half the crew were loggers and I still see a couple of the guys around. The turkey hauling venture always gets talked about. It's funny now. Wasn't too funny then.

Latest posts

Back