they walk among us

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One common misconception is that the teachers are to blame for the "new math" being taught. The curriculum being taught is decided by your school board or school superintendent, teachers have very little say in this selection. We finally got rid of the "Discover Math" curriculum in my son's school district, which was a disaster for several years. This is a little off topic but needs to be pointed out.

It isn't the school board, it is egg heads in ivory towers dreaming up better ways to teach. I went through that in Tx as a MSGT in a tech school for 4 years.

"We gotta rewrite the lesson plans, there is this new whiz bang way of teaching". So we did.

9-10 months later:

"We gotta rewrite the lesson plans, there is this new whiz bang way of teaching".

Wash, rinse, repeat. In 4 years we never had a completed package.

Harry K

To anyone interested, here is a link to a free e book explaining what is going on, and has gone on, with the US public education system. Educating children is not the goal.

the deliberate dumbing down of america

Scary #### ,Thanks for the info!!!I'm 61 (old school ) we learned it all, respect,reading, writing,rithmatic, Oh ya ,if ya clowned around ya got it .when ya went home ta whine .I ,at least got it from my Dad too.Took a while but I got.Thank you ta my teachers .all that hair fell out anyhow.cept where they'd get it by the back ,good exercise too ,cause you'd be surprised how tall you'd get standing on your ttip toes .Not mean but ya did listen ....

The change thing was funny, but losing bar nuts is sad. :msp_tongue:

Down at my local they always had peanuts or pretzels at the bar, it was a sad day when we lost them.

Thinking bout it, I have only ever lost a bar nut on a Stihl, never any of my Husky's........makes me wonder.

On my 372's as the carb base is pretty big, I take it out drill a hole and use an automotive trim push pin thingy to hold a spare bar. Clean, tidy, out of the way and easy to get at. Just never needed it......yet.

Funny

You are incapable of keeping bar nuts on your saw and your laughing your ass off at the guy who can't count change. I'll be real honest I wouldn't want either of you working for me.

Ease off on picking on people, not sure who said it but...

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

pick your crowd

1047561.jpg

watch it...weep.

One common misconception is that the teachers are to blame for the "new math" being taught. The curriculum being taught is decided by your school board or school superintendent, teachers have very little say in this selection. We finally got rid of the "Discover Math" curriculum in my son's school district, which was a disaster for several years. This is a little off topic but needs to be pointed out.

I'm not saying the teachers are to blame. But there are teachers who just hand out the books and grade the papers according to the answers in the back of the book (which aren't always right), and teachers who use their heads and manage to teach around the garbage. My daughter's math teacher last year (6th grade) was fantastic. She had a real understanding of math, a variety of ways to explain and practice any given process, and a sense of humor. She managed to work with the curriculum and still grew my daughter's love of math -- she's gone on to Jr. High and has a 98 in Honors Algebra, tested a year ahead of her grade. This teacher had my respect and gratitude. The person I had the disagreement with couldn't explain anything to anybody, she just marked papers according the the answer key. She knew less about math than a cat knows about fish, and liked it less too. It's in the hands of people like this that a "curriculum" -- any curriculum -- is deadly.

I'm not saying the teachers are to blame. But there are teachers who just hand out the books and grade the papers according to the answers in the back of the book (which aren't always right), and teachers who use their heads and manage to teach around the garbage. My daughter's math teacher last year (6th grade) was fantastic. She had a real understanding of math, a variety of ways to explain and practice any given process, and a sense of humor. She managed to work with the curriculum and still grew my daughter's love of math -- she's gone on to Jr. High and has a 98 in Honors Algebra, tested a year ahead of her grade. This teacher had my respect and gratitude. The person I had the disagreement with couldn't explain anything to anybody, she just marked papers according the the answer key. She knew less about math than a cat knows about fish, and liked it less too. It's in the hands of people like this that a "curriculum" -- any curriculum -- is deadly.

I dont want to sound like im beating on teachers but around where I live alot of parents have been getting fed up with the new ways to teach and how alot of teachers seam to not care like they used to. Every time my kid brings homework home its like he never even was taught how to do it. I figured maybe just needed more help but we talked to some of his class mates parents and they said the same thing with there kids. I always end up doing the dam homework because I dont want him to get it wrong. But what is the point of homework if the kids cant do it. I dont want homework every night.lol. Been there done that. I will bet alot of parents that help their kids with homework end up doing it all. Last year had a great teach and the school year was great. Whole dfferent story this year so far.

Latest posts

Back