"They'll do it every time." - comedy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
twoclones

twoclones

ArboristSite Guru
Some of you may be old enough to remember the funny papers from the 1960s. Specifically:
"They'll do it every time." by Jimmy Hatlo
If you don't remember, you can click here to find them and I'm certain you'll enjoy them.

Custom wood carving customer situations could have supplied Jimmy with endless situations!

This week I was contacted by a guy wanting a basset hound carved. Sounds simple enough. I gave him a price of $400 for a life size, chainsaw carved basset. He was happy I could provide what he wanted but asked how we could get the price down to $300.

Not needing the work, I told him, "You have to promise to not be a pain in my ass." I related a story to him about a stupid woman insisting I cut the horns off a giraffe sculpture because *she knew* that giraffes do not have horns. (In truth, some species of giraffe have 4 horns.)

To my disappointment, he agreed to my "not being a pain" and "advance payment" terms then Paypal-ed the $300 to my account. He also assured me he would not act stupid, pointing out that he is a psycholgist,,, Sigh!

So far, it has gone like this:
- Order is placed and paid for.
- Now he asks if he can send photos of 'his' basset hound. (sure, whatever. Didn't agree to carve 'his' dog.)
- He informs me he needs this by Christmas. (not surprised but he should have mentioned this before)
- Can I send more photos of 'my dog'? (does it look different now?)
- Next email requests that I include a cow-lick on the back of the neck and a "zipper pattern" down the back" (my ass is getting sore)
- New email asking if he can pick it up on Sunday? (It's still the same NIGHT as when he sent the payment!)
- Next request is that the colors match her as closely as possible. (Informed him I do not paint and if I did it would take a few extra days.)
- Last email of the evening explains that carving will be displayed nest to the front door so NOW he wants it to be a sitting basset rather than a reclining basset. (Can anyone really tell the difference when a dog has only feet and ankles but no legs?)

Two more cups of coffee and I will select a log for this very un-pain-in-the-ass psycholgist.

Is this a test?

twoclones

twoclones

ArboristSite Guru
The spar was barely dried before the customer rushed over to take custody of this basset hound. (my first) Sycamore, about 150% of life size, linseed oil then spar urethane.

BassetHound2012.jpg

lone wolf
Some of you may be old enough to remember the funny papers from the 1960s. Specifically:
"They'll do it every time." by Jimmy Hatlo
If you don't remember, you can click here to find them and I'm certain you'll enjoy them.

Custom wood carving customer situations could have supplied Jimmy with endless situations!

This week I was contacted by a guy wanting a basset hound carved. Sounds simple enough. I gave him a price of $400 for a life size, chainsaw carved basset. He was happy I could provide what he wanted but asked how we could get the price down to $300.

Not needing the work, I told him, "You have to promise to not be a pain in my ass." I related a story to him about a stupid woman insisting I cut the horns off a giraffe sculpture because *she knew* that giraffes do not have horns. (In truth, some species of giraffe have 4 horns.)

To my disappointment, he agreed to my "not being a pain" and "advance payment" terms then Paypal-ed the $300 to my account. He also assured me he would not act stupid, pointing out that he is a psycholgist,,, Sigh!

So far, it has gone like this:
- Order is placed and paid for.
- Now he asks if he can send photos of 'his' basset hound. (sure, whatever. Didn't agree to carve 'his' dog.)
- He informs me he needs this by Christmas. (not surprised but he should have mentioned this before)
- Can I send more photos of 'my dog'? (does it look different now?)
- Next email requests that I include a cow-lick on the back of the neck and a "zipper pattern" down the back" (my ass is getting sore)
- New email asking if he can pick it up on Sunday? (It's still the same NIGHT as when he sent the payment!)
- Next request is that the colors match her as closely as possible. (Informed him I do not paint and if I did it would take a few extra days.)
- Last email of the evening explains that carving will be displayed nest to the front door so NOW he wants it to be a sitting basset rather than a reclining basset. (Can anyone really tell the difference when a dog has only feet and ankles but no legs?)

Two more cups of coffee and I will select a log for this very un-pain-in-the-ass psycholgist.

Is this a test?
:clap::hmm3grin2orange::biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts