Thin gasket or pop-up piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grqnbech

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi

I wanna remove the base gasket on my husky 262 xpg for higher compression.
But when I do the piston hits the top of the cylinder....

What is the best solusion...?
1. Make a gasket that is have as thick as the stock gasket.
2. Take away some material on the piston (making a pop-up)

Hi

I wanna remove the base gasket on my husky 262 xpg for higher compression.
But when I do the piston hits the top of the cylinder....

What is the best solusion...?
1. Make a gasket that is have as thick as the stock gasket.
2. Take away some material on the piston (making a pop-up)

If you have a stock gasket why make one that's the same thickness? You wouldn't be affecting anything by doing that. The only thing you need to consider is where you would like it set. Anytime you cut a squish, or a pop up you affect timing. It may not be much and normally won't bother anything. But if your squish is .020 and you want more compression buy new rings. And I found out compression on some saws kills performance. I'd say a new ring would do you more favors here than trimming anything.

make a gasket out of thinner material. You can use aluminum beer can, thin cardstock, shim stock, all kinds of things. I always coat the gaskets with sealant when I make them out of non-metallic material. Measure squish with factory gasket in, then take it out and measure the gasket to determine what thickness of material will get you close to .020". Then just find something suitable to use.

If you have a lathe, turning down a very slight popup would work just fine. Or, you can cut the squish band.

Also, he is in Denmark fellas. I don't think shipping the cylinder to Randy will be cost effective :)

If you have a stock gasket why make one that's the same thickness? You wouldn't be affecting anything by doing that. The only thing you need to consider is where you would like it set. Anytime you cut a squish, or a pop up you affect timing. It may not be much and normally won't bother anything. But if your squish is .020 and you want more compression buy new rings. And I found out compression on some saws kills performance. I'd say a new ring would do you more favors here than trimming anything.

I think OP meant to say half as thick not have as thick

I think OP meant to say half as thick not have as thick

I was wondering but its no big deal. We're all just trying to help out. Hopefully we can get him set up. Just thought about this but they make some really thin metal gaskets in some AM cylinder kits. Maybe that's an option.

I wonder why they do manufacture high compressing piston kits for saws? They make em for everything else. I'm talkin same distance form skirt to the top of the piston but just with a little dome in the center. I know there would be a ton to make but maybe just offer them for pro saws.

Thanks

I think I will find a gasket that's about half the thickness of the stock one.

I read in another post that pop up pistons could affect the air flow in the cylinder, greating some kind of turbolens. Is this true....?

And no Im not gonna send my saw to someone to get it done... I like to do things my self and learn from it.... And Im from Denmark so it's not like Randy lives next door...:)

What saw was that?

Why...? I think squish is about 1 milimeter = 0.04" with the stock gasket in.... Shouldnt it be 0.02" = 0,5 milimeter

Normally the stock gasket is .016-.022 depending on the engine. Ideal squish on your 262 will be around .020.

Why...? I think squish is about 1 milimeter = 0.04" with the stock gasket in.... Shouldnt it be 0.02" = 0,5 milimeter

If squish is .040" with gasket in, then I doubt the piston is actually hitting without it.

I've done a few Huskies and they have all been consistently .040-.043 stock, and the husky steel gaskets seem to consistently be .020-.022. Maybe it's just teh saws I have done, but gasketless seems to work out perfectly for Huskies.

Stihls on the other hand are all over the place. I've had to make different thickness gaskets for all of them.

What saw was that?

I guess I should've worded that differently. I've seen saws that ran better at around 200 psi opposed to 220+. But all that comes down to how its ported. Dolmar 420's run really well with not much higher than stock compression but they come out around 190. My uncles is blowing about 205 and its a little monster.

Latest posts

Back