Things don`t always turn out!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its been a while since I cleaned this saw up and put a bar /chain on it. Took it out to day on a whim and cut a cord of hardwood firewood up from three windfalls, maple of 12-14" dia.

IMG_2069.jpg
IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

I'm in the process of fixing up a skil 1716. I was surprised to see how choked this cyl. is These pics show the transfer ports,
there is enough area cast into the port to accommodate 3 holes, yet only 2 are machined. On other Skil versions of this saw all 3 are machined.
I would like to machine in the 3rd hole, and remove the 2 outside port bridges on the intake and exhaust ports then chamfer them all. I would not be changing the port height on any of the ports at this point.
Any thoughts on this?
CSW

attachment.php
attachment.php

I'm in the process of fixing up a skil 1716. I was surprised to see how choked this cyl. is These pics show the transfer ports,
there is enough area cast into the port to accommodate 3 holes, yet only 2 are machined. On other Skil versions of this saw all 3 are machined.
I would like to machine in the 3rd hole, and remove the 2 outside port bridges on the intake and exhaust ports then chamfer them all. I would not be changing the port height on any of the ports at this point.
Any thoughts on this?
CSW

attachment.php
attachment.php

I have not tried any modding on the Skil cylinders but if you can make one breathe better it should help performance by opening up the 3rd transfer port and removing the bridges thisa should help get a bigger charge of air and fuel into the cylinder and that should increase power. If the ports are not raised or lowered then the timing is not affected and the saws torque will not be lessened. You may have to set the carb up a little richer to handle the extra flow capability but that will become evident running the saw under load, set it til it fourstrokes in the cut and you will be good to go.IMO.
Pioneerguy600

Back