Things we have learned the hard way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received a saw to tune up awhile back, and after the spark plug and air filter was changed, I started it to check the carb adjustment, and as soon as it was warm, I began to adjust the carb, and the engine died. I spent some time trying to figure out how a small turn of the L screw killed it, only to find LATER that it was out of gas. This was, of course, after I turned both screws all over the map, not realizing the tank was dry. Almost embarrassing.

Did that too, thinking, "Man, this thing is touchy." Before re-fueling had to back out a bunch cuz I had no idea where I was, there having been just enuf fuel to restart a couple times and then to choke start two more times. Lol. Tanks for the memory.

And when the pressure test fails, check that the decomp is pulled out prior to pulling the clutch, oil pump and flywheel...

Hot damn! I need to check that before assuming that my compression tester went bad.

See that we learn from "others" mistakes too! ;)

Double check you tightened the flywheel nut when re installing the flywheel on old Homelites. When the flywheel backs off it makes a very distinct sound!

Don't try to reinvent the depth gages...and hand sharpening in general.

I decided to start a thread dedicated to things that we have learned the hard way, or things that we have done and then later realized it was a bad idea. Hopefully this can lead to others learning from our mistakes, but should be worth a few laughs if nothing else.

I'll start. Last weekend I was building an 064 and had almost everything for it, except the sprocket drum and e-clip. Well I was impatient, and wanted to tune the carb, so I took it outside and started it. Within five seconds of idling the clutch exploded all over my driveway. Took out the brake band and part of the brake parts cover. If only I'd have been patient and waited for a sprocket drum I'd be cutting with it right now! :blob2:

Learned that one the hard way, but after thinking about it... DUH!
I won't be doing that again.
View attachment 340963
I've been there.. I was lucky the clutch survived. I only had to get a new brake band...
I could add checking carb screws when you receive a used saw. I once received a neat Jred 670 and wanted to try it ASAP. I was amazed to see how well it cut. Should have noticed earlier it was lean...

I figured I would check the compression on a re-ringed 042. I was waiting for the front av buffers so the tank handle was hanging up letting the paint dry.
Well I screwed on the recoil and pinned the crankcase down to the floor with my left hand and gave her a yank. . . . I left the tip end of my middle finger in the flywheel.:eek:

And yes, I did keep pulling. It blew 155.

Saw a guy trying to take the radiator cap off his way over heated chevy chevelle, burnt his hand on the cap , so he took off his tee shirt to put over the cap so he could turn it....

...well it worked!!! the cap come flying off followed by gallons of hot steam that shot off the bottom of the hood right onto that dudes now shirtless torso!!!!

Funny as heck to see such determination and the resultant severe punishment. The guy was okay but had some bad burns.

We told him to leave it until it cools and he said " I have done this before" ....

just because there is spark, doesn't mean it is hot enough. after a new carb, new fuel lines, new filter, rebuilding the newly purchased carb, OH.......and a NEW spark plug that I purchased before everything, and never installed due to already having spark. That 021 will be responsible for my first grey hair when they decide to grace me with their presence.

Do not always assume "well the longer bolts should go here, I think" (oil pump 044)

If a crankcase is not coming apart on one end after the Initial "POP" theres probably still a bolt you overlooked.

I've learned heaps on this site over the years. But just as much in my shed and digging blind on something I have never torn apart before.

Oh and if your from Ohio. Just because it was in the high 60's this past Friday and spring is here, does not mean your Harley is safe to uncover, spit shine and sit in the driveway. Bet your ass its snowing today.

When you begin the troubleshooting process, always start with the simple easy things. Don't start out thinking the worst has happened! Like, Check to see that the choke lever is attached to carb before tearing saw apart to replace the coil! Not sure why I thought of that one......

Ted
Try explaining that to customers... I don't charge for getting flooded saws to start, but I'm probably going to start. They always think it's something expensive.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras"

I answered the phone 15 years ago when the montel Williams show called me asking me to be on the show,,, 15 years later I am still married,,, and proud of it

Back