Things we have learned the hard way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife surprisingly doesn't have a lot of shoes and the ones she does have have to be comfy being on her feet all day in the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For y'all who remain unscathed and still adventurous
Bing.com still has the "safe search off" option.
( booooo to google for losing it )

Be advised that any resulting therapy bills are your OWN responsibility though.

NOT a very good feeling when your fingers hit a circular saw blade... which reminds me, don't try to cut backwards on a table saw, it tends to be a bit grabby.:rolleyes:

And don't make a blind dado cut on a table saw with your hand directly over the blade - it's amazing what happens when the board binds and the blade kicks it out of the way! Wasn't pretty and I have a whole new respect for saw blades!

Make sure he magnetic chuck is turned on when using the surface grinder
Don't leave the spanner on the drawbar (clang, SNAP)
Don't trust anyone regarding machines. Set it up yourself or have a fresh 60 grit wheel explode because some numpty left the coolant running and hid the damp spot. Still have he tiny scars from the aluminium oxide shards. Also when they turn the magnet on the magnetic vee block off for a joke and you throw a parallel off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always melt any frayed ends off the piece of rope you stick in the combustion chamber of a MS260 when taking the clutch off...by the way, does anyone have a crank, gaskets, bearings, seals, piston, and cylinder for a MS260?

don't ever think "oh its just a small tree" to rationalize not wearing your hardhat when falling trees. trust me, a 6" tree hurts when it lands on you. i was blessed to not be seriously hurt but had about a week to continually consider it. never happen again without ppe

Sigh... and i am taught again today... you just torched off that rusty bolt. Dont touch it, its hot. Something diverts my attention, i reach down and grab the bolt remnants, thinking that shouldnt be there cause someone will run over that and get a flat tire... how many times must i pick up a red hot bolt head before i learn to pay attention since i just torched it off?? Dumba$$ attack yet again.

Learned recently to stop taking Poulans on trade. I had a pile of them with all the vitals but wouldnt run. Not worth spending much time or money on because they dont sell around here unless you practically give them away.

Haha Ive been! My arm is tired and im tired of seeing good compression and spark with good fuel and still no run or barely run. I sold a few of them just to make space. Very few trade up other brands with me anyway.

And don't make a blind dado cut on a table saw with your hand directly over the blade - it's amazing what happens when the board binds and the blade kicks it out of the way! Wasn't pretty and I have a whole new respect for saw blades!
Didn't your shop teacher tell you to always use a push stick when using the table saw? Spent ten years working in cabinet shops. Have seen more than one guy with short digits. I can still count to ten without taking off my shoes!!!!!

About 14 years ago I learned that just because a saw cut doesn't hurt doesn't mean it's not bad. I was working in a log home place and I was cutting a cope in a 6" log with a brand new husky 55 with a 18" bar. I cut both sides of the cope and was taking out the middle and didn't notice the log had some checking right where I was cutting. Anyways the piece broke off, slammed into the dogs causing the saw to kick back and up. Being a tall guy and the log on the ground I was hunched over the saw so when it came back it hit me in the face. The break never activated so the chain cut off the right side of my nose. Felt like a good punch in the face, and pissed me off. I didn't think it was too bad because it didn't hurt much. About an hour later the boss came over and noticed I had a bloody nose. Told him what happened so he took me to ER. I ended up at a plastic surgeon because the ER docs couldn't fixy nose because half of it was laying in the saw chips! The guy did a good job, I have a good nose again. I have a pretty decent scar but it could have been a hell of a lot worse. And chicks really do dig scars!!

Latest posts

Back