Think I got ripped off....what can I do about it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, I'm kind of resigned to the fact that I may. It'll be a shame if / when that happens.
From the NYDEC FAQ's page on emerald ash borer:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/45409.html

"Q: How does EAB spread?
EAB is not a particularly strong flier. Adults typically fly less than ½ mile from their emergence tree. Most long-distance movement of EAB has been directly traced to ash firewood or ash nursery stock. Other untreated ash wood, wood chips greater than one inch, and ash product movement (logs, lumber, pallets, etc) generally present lesser risks. Wood chips less than one inch or mulch are considered to pose little risk of movement. New York currently has a regulation restricting the movement of firewood to protect our forests from invasive pests."

So EAB was found this year about 50 miles or so from my woodlot. At 1/2 mile per year, it would take a long time to get to me. It would also give the foresters a lot of time to research and possibly come up with an effective plan for controlling this pest. However, just 1 person bringing infected wood to my area can bring it here this fall or next summer. So maybe you can understand why I feel so strongly about it. Ash accounts for about 8% of our trees here in NY. Some stands have 25% ash. That's a lot of trees and EAB pretty much kills them all.

Can you move wood if its not ash?

That page was very interesting...nothing in my sale lined up with those requirements...lets see if my next purchase does....

@MJR - Sure do! Ive worked there for the past 3 years on water quality research and am now working on my masters...

@matt - Nope...no wood can be moved more than 50 miles...while the law is supposed to slow EAB, I think they are looking at the next invasion and try to prevent that. The EAB is probably a lost cause since it takes 3-5 years for an infestation to appear

Actually, if you kiln dry the wood and have a lic or whatever the state requires...then the wood can move freely about the state

Last edited:
here is my deal

I sell by the pickup on craigslist. I advertise one full 8 foot box pickup which equals 1/2 cord + if you measure it out. I have had 3 repeat customers in a week..I figure either I am good or everyone else is crooked.
truck loaded
IMG_0260.jpg

piled on ground..obviously.
IMG_0264.jpg

oh..btw..I take pics no matter what just in case someone says it wasn't what they ordered or whatever..I have pictured of their house and a time stamp..

Last edited:
if you were only a few cu ft short then you didnt get shafted on volume, you need to keep in mind every time you stack wood it will come up different. depending on stack tightness and so on. when i sell wood the customers come to the yard inspect the wood. measure the lwh and make sure it comes up at least 128 cu ft. then they pay me and i follow them to their house to deliver. it is green and no doubt about that.

Same here!

In my state there are very specific laws about selling firewood, enforced by the Maryland Department of Agriculture's - Weights and Measures section.

Here's the link about our laws (below) won't help you but you may have a similar "big brother" in your area.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/forester/firewoodinfo.html

The local county Agriculture Commission here can investigate and fine them per the Weights and Measure Laws. :agree2:

Moisture meter = Big waste of time & money. Here you have one, use it, and still get wet wood? Unless you're going to check every piece coming off the truck, take that meter & burn it in the stove. If you're going to buy/burn wood, you need to educate yourself as to what wet wood looks & feels like [you have a good start now]

Tough to make judgements on a thread such as this. But if the wood on top was well seasoned vs. the lower part of the load, then I tend to think he was deliberately hiding the green stuff. But how much of the load was seasoned, vs. green? There must have been a fair amount of seasoned wood on the top for you not to notice any green wood.

Be careful burning it. If it's not seasoned it will create creosote in chimney.

I dont know how people can live with themselves. I'm starting in the wood selling business and cannot even imagine doing this to someone for 3 reasons.

1. I will lose them as a repeat customer.
2. I couldn't live with myself.
3. I'd always have to worry about Karma or the guy coming after me

Just call him up in a firm, rational matter and tell him to bring another cord or half a cord over for giving you seasoned wood.

By the way $135 is a good price because it's seasoned.

I sell by the pickup on craigslist. I advertise one full 8 foot box pickup which equals 1/2 cord + if you measure it out. I have had 3 repeat customers in a week..I figure either I am good or everyone else is crooked.
truck loaded
IMG_0260.jpg

piled on ground..obviously.
IMG_0264.jpg

oh..btw..I take pics no matter what just in case someone says it wasn't what they ordered or whatever..I have pictured of their house and a time stamp..

A full pick up box STACKED tightly = roughly half a cord. If thrown in loose its not even close to half a cord.

Back