STIHL 028 Wood Boss AV EQ.....sitting for years, what do I do first???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good tank cleanout and a new fuel filter for starters. Old gas will gum up a filter solid. I've cleaned them with lacquer thinner, but its hardly worth it for their cost. Most likely a gasket kit if it doesn't pump fuel.

The compression seems pretty outrageous, get some oil on the rings?

Well I had sprayed some Seafoam Deep Creep in there just to lube the rings up....mainly because I've had weed eaters not start because the rings were dry from storage. Plus I didn't want to scratch the cylinder, I didn't think squirting a little lube in there would change anything really. But yea, it's definitely got some compression whether it's reading right or not.

Sounds good. The xl may surprise you. I have an xl12 that feels like nothing special when you pull it over, but sends the tester to 148 psi, and that with a dykes top ring that I refit it with.

Any spray in the top end will increase the compression reading.
Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
I have to remember that. I have a can of Seafoam that's been dormant for awhile. (1) Remove spark plug (2) Spray in Seafoam and turn it over a few times (3) Measure compression (4) Take picture of gauge and place saw up for sale.

I have to remember that. I have a can of Seafoam that's been dormant for awhile. (1) Remove spark plug (2) Spray in Seafoam and turn it over a few times (3) Measure compression (4) Take picture of gauge and place saw up for sale.
I always ask the seller of they did just that. Once I get saw I do both tests to compare results as well.

I always ask the seller of they did just that. Once I get saw I do both tests to compare results as well.

How much of a rise does the oil make? I just figured it would give it a more realistic result rather than the opposite, since the saw runs with oil mix.

I've also heard that Marvel Mystery Oil does about the same thing, but guys nowadays swear by Seafoam. I must admit that when rebuilding an engine, I have spread MMO on the inside of the cylinder before dropping it over the new rings.

Pretty sure I figured out why it was "losing power"

Took the carb apart to clean it and the plate over the diaphragm was totally full of sawdust. It came out looking like a miniature salmon patty or something haha. It's all cleaned up and re-installed now. Only problem is that one of the four diaphragm screws is stripped. That shouldn't really be a bid deal as long as the other three are tight, right? Don't figure I can heli-coil that little thing.

Also, is there any "correct" orientation of the air hole in that plate? I re-installed it at the lowest point, hoping to keep the dust out of it, whereas it had previously been installed facing toward the air filter I believe.

Orientation of the breather hole in the carb cover does not matter.
3 screws will work, but its much better if all 4 screws are snug, try a dab of removable loctite.

The build up should have caused the saw to run lean since it limited the movement of the diaphragm. I've had to replace the ignition coil / module on two of these. They miss fired and wouldn't rev when hot.

Still a good possibility....luckily I've got a Super parts saw. Also looking like I'm going to do a muff mod on the super muffler and hopefully keep it running cooler. The stock muffler on this saw, exited directly onto the case.

Still a good possibility....luckily I've got a Super parts saw. Also looking like I'm going to do a muff mod on the super muffler and hopefully keep it running cooler. The stock muffler on this saw, exited directly onto the case.

Make sure the muffler from your super will fit onto the WB before going through all of the work modding it; some of the later 028 mufflers WILL NOT fit on a WB.
BTDT.

Good on your friend! One of my friends, not much into saws, brought his over that is older than the one you scored. His father bought it new, and never took care of it.

So now it leaks bar oil like mad, and I need someone to tell me how to put a stop to the leaking. It seriously leaves puddles everywhere it sits.

I was able to get it running, but not stop the leaking bar oil. Any help and/or advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks,

Cliff

Back