Thinking about a different splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveH

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Last Dec., I broke down and bought a Wallenstein splitter after our 115 mph winds took down so many green trees and splitting the green wood made a splitter sound so nice.

I really like the Wallenstein, high quality and works great. It's a pleasure to use a very well built piece of machinery. Now, though, the dealer from whom I bought it has some BGU splitters in, the German wood-processing manufacturer. Also appear to be very high quality.

The deal is, he has a three-point hitch tractor splitter, and I am intrigued. I may try to sell the Wallenstein if I remain so interested. Anyone have any experience of the BGU stuff? I had looked at the Wallenstein 3-pt hitch models, but they require my buying a PTO pump for the hydraulics, which means a bunch of extra cost plus an oil reservoir, etc. The BGU has all this built in, it's just hook-it-up to the hitch and PTO and get to work.

But I simply don't know anyone who has ever had or used a BGU unit....

I've never heard of them.

But I do have 3 tractors and would not take a 3pt PTO splitter if it was free. Couldn't run fast enough to give me one... I wouldn't want to put the extra hours on the tractor and the fuel consumption would be crazy compared to my Super Split! :msp_smile:

One thing you might want to consider if you don't like OSHA requirements the safety requirements on the other side of the pond are much more strict. All controls are two handed safety interlocked. US splitters don't meet their minimum standards.

Back