Thinking about getting a planer...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodshop said:
Nice adirondack chairs trimmed... I too am curious what you made them out of. Maybe poplar since it takes paint so well? Or something a little more rot resistant like eastern white cedar?

They are made from eastern white pine, there are only 4 points that actually have ground contact, the two main supports and the front posts. Those were ewp as well, but they were brought in to the pressure treating plant and cca treated. Most of the parts, were the drops/cutoffs from the lumber yard, and the same lumber yard had to get the treating done for me, the pressure treating place wouldn't deal with me direct. I also ran a few in western red cedar, but they had to be screwed together, each hole countersunk, each screw stainless, and they became prohibitive in cost.

trimmmed said:
They are made from eastern white pine, there are only 4 points that actually have ground contact, the two main supports and the front posts. Those were ewp as well, but they were brought in to the pressure treating plant and cca treated.
When I built my picnic table out of eastern white cedar, I took the time to put a few inches of osage orange at the bottom of each leg. Osage orange is about the most rot resistant wood God made. My table has sat in mostly wet soil for 10 years now, and those legs where they sit in the soil are still as solid as when I first made them.

Being a woodworker making product for sale though, I understand completely about cost of materials and time into the piece. You often can't get that out of the sale, so you find ways to get the job done, and done right, but cheaper.

Back