Thinking about porting Stihl 44 magnum...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Weld

If it aint broke, it aint mine!
Reaction score
My friend ended up with a burnt piston in his 44 Magnum. One of his boys ran it with straight gas (for a few seconds). :dumb: I told him, to bring the saw on over and we will get her back in action in no time.

So in late October of 2016 he came over to the house, with a box of parts, and we tore the saw down. We were getting ready to install the new piston when my friend realized the new piston kit had the correct diameter piston but wrong sized wrist pin. So I said no worries, let’s just put the saw parts in this box and you can order the correct parts. I had already gotten all the transfer out of the original cylinder, so I thought we were set on GO. Then duck season opened in Arkansas….

Fast forward to last weekend (March of 2017), I was talking to my friend and reminded him that we still had a box of chainsaw parts to put back together. Now I have known this guy for 20 years and we really are friends and I knew that he truly was busier than a one armed wall-paper hanger. So when he started in about how he had this to do and that to do, I just told him to get me the box of new parts and I would get the saw back together for him. It is a small way I can serve my buddy. :givebeer:

NOW it turns out that he has ordered a complete cylinder/piston kit (from Bailys) to install, and I still have a serviceable Stihl jug sitting in my garage. Soooooo I figured this would be the perfect time to try my hand at porting a cylinder. I have successfully restored 7 saws now, ported a bunch of mufflers (on other saws), and am a fair hand at tuning a saw (for a jack-leg hobbyist mechanic). I am a scientist by trade, and am used to doing exacting work at the bench. I have been reading a bunch on cylinder porting and I have the necessary tools, so I think I am going to go for it! I know just enough to be dangerous! Haha. I figure that if I screw it up and ruin the piston/cylinder, I can slap the new cylinder on the saw and still get some valuable experience for the cost of a new piston kit.

It is funny; I always figured that the first cylinder I started cutting on would be from more of a “homeowner” type saw. So what do you guys think….go for it, or just put it all back together stock and look for a Poulan cylinder to cut on? If I go for it, should I cut on the aftermarket cylinder or the original Stihl cylinder (IIRC I think the aftermarket kit is from Bailys)? Probably not going to worry about the squish and just go back with original base gasket. I figure that it will be plenty to open up just the intake and exhaust ports. Any advice would be welcome in the Garage of Repair and Despair.:crazy2:

If you are going to try it out, do so on the baily's kit not the OEM one! Probably check that the OEM and aftermarket kit have the same bore diameter as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend ended up with a burnt piston in his 44 Magnum.

Fast forward to last weekend (March of 2017), I was talking to my friend and reminded him that we still had a box of chainsaw parts to put back together. Now I have known this guy for 20 years and we really are friends and I knew that he truly was busier than a one armed wall-paper hanger. So when he started in about how he had this to do and that to do, I just told him to get me the box of new parts and I would get the saw back together for him. It is a small way I can serve my buddy. :givebeer:

It is funny; I always figured that the first cylinder I started cutting on would be from more of a “homeowner” type saw. So what do you guys think….go for it, or just put it all back together stock and look for a Poulan cylinder to cut on? If I go for it, should I cut on the aftermarket cylinder or the original Stihl cylinder (IIRC I think the aftermarket kit is from Bailys)? Probably not going to worry about the squish and just go back with original base gasket. I figure that it will be plenty to open up just the intake and exhaust ports. Any advice would be welcome in the Garage of Repair and Despair.:crazy2:
Squish has sounded more important to me than you it seems. Too little bangs pieces I think. The Pros @ porting got there by going too far then backing off (my guess) on the following same saw jugs. Be gentle knock the intrusions off the passages, leave the intake portion rough; the exhaust shiny (at least smooth) and open up the muff a bit. With an oem cylinder more $ to replace I'd go with bailey's ( I've worked a bit on a BB set ) Good luck with the rebuild and Remember:

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Can you read a degree wheel? If yes. Check the stock timing and report back.

The 044/440 respond very well to some machine work and no port work at all.

For usually around $50, someone here should be able to take .010 from the squish band and mill the base to get you to the desired 20-25 squish.

Then advance the timing and open the muffler.

You'll be surprised.

BTW, what's the SN of the saw? 10 or 12mm wrist pin?

The cylinders and pistons are not fully interchangeable. The later 12mm saws have wider piston skirts and ports.

90% of porting gains come from 10% of the work. The last 10% take 90% of the work.

Can you read a degree wheel? If yes. Check the stock timing and report back.
I will figure out the timing and report back.

BTW, what's the SN of the saw? 10 or 12mm wrist pin?
SN is: +156360016
12mm wrist pin

Looks like Squish is a little more important than I thought! I have more reading to do. Thanks for all the input guys. :cheers:

Looking at the two cylinders side by side, the Bailey's has a larger intake port than the OEM Stihl. The exhaust ports look the same. I will have to do a little measuring. I will figure out the stock timing and report back. Prolly be Saturday though.

Part of me just wants to put it back together stock (easy thing to do), but another part of me wants to feel the power! :chainsaw: (and learn something while I am at it.) I will get some pictures posted this weekend.

I have not touched the saw yet. I got busy with all my "responsibilities". I might get to work on her this weekend. I will update the thread. I am sorely tempted to put her back together stock and go on down the road. I just still think this is a good opportunity for me to tinker with a saw (in a new way), so I have not given up hope yet.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Back