Thinking about switching from wood to pellet.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Split this!

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well, hate to be thinking this way, but after almost 23 years of heating with a wood stove, I'm getting older, and tired! Considering switching to a pellet stove. Knowing the knowledge and experience on this site, I'm wanting some input on makes, models, pros and cons on thermostat operated ones. I've been using the Englander stove works, nc-30, and I have been very pleased with it's operation and support people at the company. I know they have a few pellet stove models, I just don't have any experience with pellet stoves! Any input, suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, Split This!

A few guys I work with have pellet stoves. They are all very happy with theirs. The one thing they all say is don't buy a cheap unit and buy it from a reputable dealer.

Around here a few people have them, please make sure you buy pellets from a know dealer.
Here some guys are selling pellets that are either wet or mostly bark.

Buy your pellets ahead...there was a shortage this past heating season. Make sure you have enough ahead to get you through the season.

Keep in mind most of them don't put out the BTUs of a wood stove...they have a controlled feed rate and a fixed firebox.

Unlike a wood stove, I want to say all pellet stoves need electric to operate...

Its really not a problem if you've prepared for power being out. Just one of those things that most people forget until the lights go out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Pellets are a viable source of heat, there are some real nice units out there. Especially the boilers.

The electric thing would bother me.

Well, my woodstove isn't much good without power, so you have to be prepared for power loss with some woodstoves too, just like my sump pump won't work without power either.

BTW, some pellet stoves can be fitted with batt backup...

SR

Well, my woodstove isn't much good without power, so you have to be prepared for power loss with some woodstoves too, just like my sump pump won't work without power either.

BTW, some pellet stoves can be fitted with batt backup...

SR

If it was me, I would get a Generator that could push the pellet stove and call it good.

I've been heating with wood for over 30 years & would buy firewood before switching to a pellet stove.
My stove needs no electric.

If it was me, I would get a Generator that could push the pellet stove and call it good.

Some of us have a generator regardless of the heat source...if you have a water well, its almost a necessity.

Generators would make another good topic for discussion...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I had a pellet stove and I liked it. Per BTU in my area pellets are cheaper than buying firewood.

As others have mentioned don't get a cheap one, the high end ones give you more heat for your money and are easy to take care of. I hear radio ads for a new pellet stove from a higher end maker that claims it only needs to be cleaned a couple times a year, that would make it really nice.

My idea for retirement is that I'm going to get a pellet fired central heater that hooks up to the HVAC, and somehow heats hot water too. That will vent through the roof with the standard pellet stove pipe.
I'm going to keep the wood stove for when I want the feel of a wood fire and for when the power goes down. Best of both worlds.

Right now I run a pellet stove in the shop, it used to be in the house, I like it and I like pellets. As has been mentioned buy your pellets in late summer when the big sales are running. Around here the farm stores and lumber yards will have literally mountains of pellets and the sales will hit as low as $125.00 a ton for good quality pellets, and $99.00 a ton for the cheap stuff. Later in the year prices will be much higher, but so far we've never run out. Best strategy is to buy more than you think you'll need, what you don't use will keep till next year just fine.

Mr. HE:cool:

Perhaps re-examine your fire wood processing and put off changing for a while, til maybe, they invent home nuclear energy plants?

How do you get to that point where you are throwing splits in a fire? Maybe just shortcutting a couple of wood processing steps might make it better.

Back