Thinking I might trade in the MS310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 441 is a true production saw...it would handle most any task you could throw at it. I will say it again...It is better to have the power and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

2 saw plan

i would get the big saw even if i had to buy a cheap small saw

i have the 2 saw plan and can tell you a 18" 50cc saw will cut alot of stuff around farm field's, however once in 8" or bigger wood i WANT a 70cc with a sharp chain it is a tree eating machine

You might consider a 460. It doesn't have the anti-vibe or cool air filtration, but weighs the same and has more power. Add a dual port muffler and get even more power yet. I've got a lot of cool stuff in the garage, but the 460 is my go-to saw.

Have to agree with the 460 being the best choice. I have a woods ported 036 that has been muffler modded along with the pop off pressures set at 19 psi. In my book it is nothing more than a small saw without much authorty. It sports a 16" ES bar w a 9 pin & is my limbing saw for stuff up to 12" dia. Step up to a 70cc + class saw & theres a good chance you"ll never consider any thing but bigger . :chainsaw:

If you perform a muffler mod on the 310 by completly gutting out the internals & removing the recessed area behind the spark screen in addition to & 1/2 " hole out the front after the saws richened up you will have pretty much the same power as a 361. Forget a 017 or 18 they are weak on power & are more suited for children.

If you perform a muffler mod on the 310 by completly gutting out the internals & removing the recessed area behind the spark screen in addition to & 1/2 " hole out the front after the saws richened up you will have pretty much the same power as a 361..

Hmmm.... then do the same with the 361 muffler, and.... :monkey:

Try a 441 with a 20" bar and 8 pin sprocket, very impressive. But I love my 361 also. For my area and my normal wood adventures the 361 will do for 95% of my needs BUT, there is always the big tree that comes along that requires a bigger saw so it is nice to have the 441.

i am by NO means an expert here compared to the others but........
my MS310 is almost 6yrs old and I love it, just tried the chisel tooth chain and now i need to get a skip tooth (thanks to the info found on this site) but........ there are times that i want/need a bigger saw.
80% of the time the 20" bar has done everything i have cut. and with a skip tooth i imagne that might just help me some more with the bigger stuff.

i do wish i had purchased a bigger one, but this will do/and has done well, and with the wife's i shall be a 3 saw family soon. :D

i saw a used 440 on ebay for $550 not sure what a new one goes for.
as you can see i have plans for a big one next year.....:D

so good luck with your choice....hope it's the right one....

(oh and it's not stuck, just posing like a good model she is:D)

DSC04095small.jpg

Last edited:
why not get the 460 then if considering the 441. with the same weight, why not get more power. its probably more expensive but you could do more with the 460.

Hmmm.... then do the same with the 361 muffler, and.... :monkey:
To me it's not worth selling off the 310 & taking a 10 % loss plus the tax in addition to paying 10 % more with the latest increase on a new 361 plus the tax . Then after all that you'll still have a limbing saw. I dont bother messing with any thing other than large hard wood & a 361 will take a severe beating over time sporting a 28" bar. Kinda like sending a boy to do a mans job. :buttkick:

If I was going to buy another new saw it would be a 361. I have one and it's great.I have both a 20 and a 25 bar and chain, switch them around as needed. I havn't found anything that was a problem yet. I cut up a 36" tree with the 25" bar and it sliced it up like hot butter. Plenty of power, even stock which mine is.

how much more is a 460 than a 441. i got lucky and only paid 250 for mine, but from what ive seen out of a 441, it dosent live up to its brother the 440, and it weighs as much as a 460 yet has less power.

A friend of mine is interested in a 310 for some serious cutting. I am trying to steer him to a 361 or a 357XP.

how much more is a 460 than a 441. i got lucky and only paid 250 for mine, but from what ive seen out of a 441, it dosent live up to its brother the 440, and it weighs as much as a 460 yet has less power.

I haven't noticed that about the 440 vs the 441.

Could be that it boils down to how it feels in the hands of the holder.

I have a little experience with both. The stock 441 outcut the stock 440.

Latest posts

Back