Thinking of defecting to the dark (dork) side.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you asked, here's "Food for Thought",

Two things to say before I get into this.
1-Never have run a MS361 so I can't comment on performance.
2-The following is my experience, take it for what you will.

The biggest issue I see with the 361 is the same as I have with my 192T and BR600. That is the bayonet locking gas and oil caps. I have replaced 3 on my 192T and now carry 2 spares in my woods tool bag. This in the period of a year. Judging from the MS260 on the dealer's shelf missing the gas and oil caps I'm not the only one having problems.

The BR600 cap has been replaced twice in 4 years,and I just had to order a spare to keep in the shop because the one that's in there is acting up.

Short story long, Stihl re-invented the wheel. It's not just me other people I talk to have the same issue. Screw caps have worked forever, why the need for something else. I would hate to go into the woods burn the first tank and then find out I'm done because the gas or oil cap won't close. Not saying Husky or Dolmar are perfect but I have a lot more confidence in their screw cap system.

I'm not against Stihl products, to the contrary I'm very pleased with their performance and durability overall, especially the BR600, but if anyone from Stihl is reading this please loose the bayonet caps and go back to the tried and true.

Go ahead, tell me I've sinned by speaking ill of the MS361, but I'll stick with my 357XP and its screwy caps.

One man's experience

Take Care

A refurbed 6401 for $289 vs the Stihl 361 $$$$$, go with the 6401/6400. I dont really care about a few ounces, I want the wood cut. Yeah, the 361 helped launch the space shuttle, but then again, you're just cutting wood :chainsaw: .

Im starting to lean to the 6400/6401, by far the best value for the buck. A pound or two in a saw won't bother me, I am used to running my SXL all day.

The MS-361 and JD CS-62 (will probably be long gone by late winter) are 60cc class saws, so they weigh less than a PS-6400, which is a 73cc saw with a 64cc jug.
What you really want is a PS-7900, which is the same 73cc saw with a 79cc jug on it. The Makita 7901 is uber-rare, no longer sold new, but I have seen refurbs listed for around $330 PHO, as opposed to $300 with 20" bar for a 6401 refurb. Takes large mount Husky bars.

Im starting to lean to the 6400/6401, by far the best value for the buck. A pound or two in a saw won't bother me, I am used to running my SXL all day.

What's the point with a 64cc saw that handles like a 70cc+ one, when you have other saws.....:monkey:

If you lean that way, you don't need a "60cc" saw.

Last edited:
Where the 361 outshines the rest is when your out in the cold cutting all day, and every little thing starts to piss you off. The 361 starts up easy, pulls a nice sharp 20” chain smoothly and is so nimble it makes you forget what was pissing you off. It’s like a good dog, can’t be measured in $$ and cents. :wave:

I confess that I have not run the 361, but I did read a thread on AS a short while ago where a guy thought it was not all that much. I'm sure your aware that HD sells their rental stock periodical at great prices. Mine I'm sure is from that rental stock, and it is a runner. Only problem with mine is that I was going to adjust it for better performance, and I got it adjusted to the point that I can't get it to start. I will have to make a new post and get some advice on that. It was a hell of a runner until I decided to fix that which was not broke. JR

6401 makes sense on paper

I have searched numerous threads with people's experiences and it seems that if you went with the 6401 and mod the muffler, you'd probably end up with around 5.2 hp or so @ 13.6lbs. That is rather close to the Husky 372xp in both power and weight, at least on paper. Damn close to a Stihl 441 too. And at half the cost probably.

Wouldn't that work out for a great saw at a very descent price?

Well opinion's are like :censored: , everyone has one, and some of them stink.
Having said that, here's my opinion.
I'm not real concerned about a little extra weight on a saw, but if I'm going to be packing the weight of a 7900 I want to have the power to go with it. So other than the $$$ factor the 6400 would be out for me.

As for the 357 and the 361, there's honestly not much difference except the outboard clutch on the 357. That dosen't bother me since all saw's had outboard clutches when I started. So, between these two I'd say the choice would be between the clutch style, or your brand preference.

Personally, I'm kinda fond of the 357 but that's just me. The 361 is just as good a saw (but it won't really cure cancer).
That's my opinion, you be the judge of how it smells.:cheers:

Andy

Well opinion's are like :censored: , everyone has one, and some of them stink.
Having said that, here's my opinion.
I'm not real concerned about a little extra weight on a saw, but if I'm going to be packing the weight of a 7900 I want to have the power to go with it. So other than the $$$ factor the 6400 would be out for me.

Exactly!!! :agree2:

Last edited:
As for the 357 and the 361, there's honestly not much difference except the outboard clutch on the 357. That dosen't bother me since all saw's had outboard clutches when I started. So, between these two I'd say the choice would be between the clutch style, or your brand preference.

Andy

Seriously Andy? I don't mean to be a smartazz, but this is the first time I have heard this.
I know the 357 is a good saw, bu never hear of one running a 24" bar in hardwoods with it. The 359, yes. I like the 357 on paper, and the way it feels. But I've never heard this.

Seriously Andy? I don't mean to be a smartazz, but this is the first time I have heard this.
I know the 357 is a good saw, bu never hear of one running a 24" bar in hardwoods with it. The 359, yes. I like the 357 on paper, and the way it feels. But I've never heard this.

Well, like I said.......my opinion.
If a stock, or muf modded 359 will run a 24" bar, a 357 will run it with authority. I've stated before that we don't have much hardwood here, but we do have some. You also have to concider that I'm at almost 9000' elevation, which means about a 30% loss in power. The 357 will pull a 24" in Gambel Oak (what we have here) just fine. It's not my "go to saw" at this elevation. I prefer a 372, 7900, or 681.
My buddy has a 361 and my 357 would stay right with it reguardless of what we were cutting, right up untill the day I ran over it.

Andy

Well, like I said.......my opinion.
If a stock, or muf modded 359 will run a 24" bar, a 357 will run it with authority. I've stated before that we don't have much hardwood here, but we do have some. You also have to concider that I'm at almost 9000' elevation, which means about a 30% loss in power. The 357 will pull a 24" in Gambel Oak (what we have here) just fine. It's not my "go to saw" at this elevation. I prefer a 372, 7900, or 681.
My buddy has a 361 and my 357 would stay right with it reguardless of what we were cutting, right up untill the day I ran over it.

Andy

Other than the running it over part, what I wanted to know.

Still not sure I could justify one as fast as the 046 cuts with the 25" The 350 is ripping like a banshee, but there are days something in-between, might be nice. I'm getting the "soft-in-the-middle" syndrome!! 22"-24" would do 90% of what I do, but something lighter, with a bit more umph than the 350, would be nice some days!!

Back