Thinking of defecting to the dark (dork) side.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than the running it over part, what I wanted to know.

Still not sure I could justify one as fast as the 046 cuts with the 25" The 350 is ripping like a banshee, but there are days something in-between, might be nice. I'm getting the "soft-in-the-middle" syndrome!! 22"-24" would do 90% of what I do, but something lighter, with a bit more umph than the 350, would be nice some days!!

After having the 357, I sold my 350. The 357 fit's in the skidder just right and cut's so much better that I just couldn't justify owning the 350 (Hahaha. Justify owning a saw.) I've got to find another 357 before next season start's.

Andy

I am contemplating a new 60cc class saw to complete my lineup, and I am considering three popular contenders.

The 357XP. I have other Huskys and would like to keep everything orange, but it;s damn expensive.

The Makita 6401. For the money it looks like the best bang for the buck, does anyone have anything bad to say about the 6400/6401?

The one and only 361. It's also expensive as f&@k, but I am wondering if it's all it is cracked up to be.

I won;t be buying anything until late winter at the earliest, I am brainstorming now.....:givebeer:

I have both a 357XP and a 361. I will stay with Stihl because of the local dealer but I like the 357 better. The 357 is for sale, too bad you live so far away or you could try both out.

Food for thought

Buy the DCS6401, muffler mod it, and with the difference in price you will save from a non stihl-husky purchase, you can pick up a 5100S....:greenchainsaw:

Well, like I said.......my opinion.
If a stock, or muf modded 359 will run a 24" bar, a 357 will run it with authority. I've stated before that we don't have much hardwood here, but we do have some. You also have to concider that I'm at almost 9000' elevation, which means about a 30% loss in power. The 357 will pull a 24" in Gambel Oak (what we have here) just fine. It's not my "go to saw" at this elevation. I prefer a 372, 7900, or 681.
My buddy has a 361 and my 357 would stay right with it reguardless of what we were cutting, right up untill the day I ran over it.

Andy

I hear it ran way better once it had been run over! And gave Romeo some porting practice!

I think I am leaning towards an older (like 80's vintage) used saw in that size, like a Pro Mac 610 or 700, they can be had on Fleabay pretty cheap. They are new enough to have decent AV and a chainbrake, and parts are available for them.

before i bought the makita, check the dolmar i believe who makes makita saw's. i have the dolmar ps-7900 79 cc 6.3 hp at 13.6 lbs, the ps-6400 has 64cc and 4.8 hp at same weight the ps-7300 has 73cc at 5.7 hp and same 13.6 lbs. and not that gay blue colour, nice red and black.

I think I am leaning towards an older (like 80's vintage) used saw in that size, like a Pro Mac 610 or 700, they can be had on Fleabay pretty cheap. They are new enough to have decent AV and a chainbrake, and parts are available for them.
I found my 3.7 Eager Beaver(610) to be very similar in power to my 2159 when the 2159 was stock.
The Mac is nowhere near as smooth in the AV dept but still a great old saw that has never ever failed me. If it was not for CAD I would be perfectly content with that saw. lol

Latest posts

Back