Thinking of starting tree work at 42. should I?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodneywhite5

Reaction score
I will be working for a tree company clearing power lines in the northeast of connecticut. I have been a bodyman for the last 15 yrs
i think that i am in decent physical shape. i am looking for info that will help me start on the right foot. Any suggestions.

I have been a bodyman so stay with that leave the tree to the pros pruning with a bucket and tree work are 2 different things

work

Cold,hot,rain and snow days! Some perfect days thrown in there too. Work in the great outdoors. If ya can handle dragging brush, climbing trees and not just bucket work? Go for it. Probably be the most physical work ya ever done. But ya sure sleep good at night. Climb on!

I will be working for a tree company clearing power lines in the northeast of connecticut. I have been a bodyman for the last 15 yrs
i think that i am in decent physical shape. i am looking for info that will help me start on the right foot. Any suggestions.

depends who your going to be working for and what they are going to pay you

If hard labor is something you're familiar with and safety is an important concept for you then you should be good for a decade or so. Some guys can climb into their 60's but most get worn by late 30's. Just depends on genes and fortitude. I only climb part time, and have for about 10 years now. I can tell you the recovery from the big jobs takes longer than it used to. And you'll be doing the work fulltime-something to consider.

I'm 43 and have been climbing since 1991... Glad I would not have to start out at my age and learn the things I've learned. You do learn to work smarter instead of harder. I climb everyday when the market allows. I climbed 21 days straight with no break doing difficult removals and storm damage over the Summer. And I'm the kind of guy who finishes in the tree then gets down to help the ground guys hump logs... Because the quicker I get finished the quicker and more I get paid. Glad to know I can still do it but it does take it's toll after a rough patch like that.

Back