Thinking of upgrading my wood furnace, asking opinions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. The one I'm looking at is $10 used and the auction ends in 2 days. If I don't get it for under $15 or $20 I'll get the Amazon one.
I was just on fleabay looking at these, there are half a dozen or so under ~$15 shipped

Well I got my used Focus pro 5000 in the mail, and am leaving in a few minutes to go pick up my furnace.:blob2:

Does anyone feel like sparing me a bunch of reading and tell me how to hook the thermostat up? I downloaded the PDF owners manual of it, and some of it might as well be in Greek. I'm a welder, mechanic, and farmer. Not an electronics guy.

On that note, anything else I need to know? Be back in about 3 or 4 hours. :happybanana:

Well I got my used Focus pro 5000 in the mail, and am leaving in a few minutes to go pick up my furnace.:blob2:

Does anyone feel like sparing me a bunch of reading and tell me how to hook the thermostat up? I downloaded the PDF owners manual of it, and some of it might as well be in Greek. I'm a welder, mechanic, and farmer. Not an electronics guy.

On that note, anything else I need to know? Be back in about 3 or 4 hours. :happybanana:
Sure, you will only need 2 wire thermostat wire. The furnace end attaches to the 'stat terminals on the back of the control box. On the 'stat end you will need to put a short jumper wire on the terminal strip from the R to the RC terminal. Then the wire from the furnace goes to the C and the W terminals. Doesn't matter which wire to which terminal because the 'stat is just "making" a circuit. The details of this are in the FP 5000s install manual on page 4 under "heat only system" (the second example down)

Sure, you will only need 2 wire thermostat wire. The furnace end attaches to the 'stat terminals on the back of the control box. On the 'stat end you will need to put a short jumper wire on the terminal strip from the R to the RC terminal. Then the wire from the furnace goes to the C and the W terminals. Doesn't matter which wire to which terminal because the 'stat is just "making" a circuit. The details of this are in the FP 5000s install manual on page 4 under "heat only system" (the second example down)
The wire goes to RH and W, not C.

or it would be just R. C is common wire used for powering the thermostat.
Battery powered. I just went and looked at mine...you are right, R and W. :oops:
It's funny, that's not how it shows to do in the install manual. What's up with that?
But it is kinda coming back to me now, when I put mine in it didn't work, I had to get the multimeter out to figure it out.
Oh, and to Jules, the jumper wire I referenced is probably already there from the factory.

Battery powered. I just went and looked at mine...you are right, R and W. :oops:
It's funny, that's not how it shows to do in the install manual. What's up with that?
But it is kinda coming back to me now, when I put mine in it didn't work, I had to get the multimeter out to figure it out.
Oh, and to Jules, the jumper wire I referenced is probably already there from the factory.
Yeah. I actually do have my C hooked up to power it. I just ran it from the central air power.

the jumper is only if you have cooling. a 3 wire is needed if you don't want to deal with batteries. R power, C common. W call for heat. Depending on what you are hooking it up to you will want the state set for electric heat.

the jumper is only if you have cooling. a 3 wire is needed if you don't want to deal with batteries. R power, C common. W call for heat.
Oh, OK. The diagram in the manual had me all screwed up. So you are saying the stat can be powered from the transformer? Then the batts would only be utilized to just provide memory during power loss? I guess for me it is not worth changing now though, I have been running on the same batts for two years now...

Oh, OK. The diagram in the manual had me all screwed up. So you are saying the stat can be powered from the transformer? Then the batts would only be utilized to just provide memory during power loss? I guess for me it is not worth changing now though, I have been running on the same batts for two years now...
yes that's how it works.

I'm getting nothing out of my thermostat. You guys say there's an audible 'click' when it kicks on and off? I can hear that when I turn the fan from 'on' to 'auto', but nothing when I switch from heat to cool to off. Playing with the temperature and all.

Any advice? Any way to test this thing?

I'm getting nothing out of my thermostat. You guys say there's an audible 'click' when it kicks on and off? I can hear that when I turn the fan from 'on' to 'auto', but nothing when I switch from heat to cool to off. Playing with the temperature and all.

Any advice? Any way to test this thing?
I sent you a PM

You guys say there's an audible 'click' when it kicks on and off?
Yes. It takes a couple seconds to "engage" once you make a new setpoint, (aboout the same amount of time the backlighting stays on) but it is a fairly loud click when it does

I think I might have bought a broken thermostat
Is it new or used? You get it off of fleabay? They have a really good system for dealing with problems like this now. Pretty much let you and the seller work out whatever remedy make both parties happy, fleabay employee "moderates" between you though...

Is it new or used? You get it off of fleabay? They have a really good system for dealing with problems like this now. Pretty much let you and the seller work out whatever remedy make both parties happy, fleabay employee "moderates" between you though...
I just sent him a message. There is some options that need to be changed in the menu to make sure its set to heat only. I wonder if that's the problem.

e941f43afc6327384b0700973734702b.jpg

First fire. Going to let it burn itself out then light it again tomorrow. I'm glad it's done.

Latest posts

Back