Thinking of upgrading my wood furnace, asking opinions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thing stinks.

Seems to be working right. Had the afterburner part going, looked like a ball of fire in the box. Got the house up to temperature and now there's no visible flames, just everything smoldering. I guess that's right?

I see that my wood isn't quite as dry as I'd hoped. Oops.

This thing stinks.

Seems to be working right. Had the afterburner part going, looked like a ball of fire in the box. Got the house up to temperature and now there's no visible flames, just everything smoldering. I guess that's right?

sounds right. I told you to open your windows.

This thing stinks.
They say that paint smell won't hurt ya...but woo-wee sures smells like it would kill ya dead! :confused:
Hehe, yup, nothing like the ole EPA style firebox to weed out the wet n the dry! Supplement your firewood loads with some busted up pallet wood or 2x4 cutoffs, ECO bricks or the like will work too. It really helps to average out the moisture content of the load and sustain secondary combustion until your firewood can be "baked" dry

sounds right. I told you to open your windows.
I know. I don't listen real good apparently.

They say that paint smell won't hurt ya...but woo-wee sures smells like it would kill ya dead! :confused:

Hehe, yup, nothing like the ole EPA style firebox to weed out the wet n the dry! Supplement your firewood loads with some busted up pallet wood or 2x4 cutoffs, ECO bricks or the like will work too. It really helps to average out the moisture content of the load and sustain secondary combustion until your firewood can be "baked" dry

The secondary combustion was going fine, just sizzling in the ends. We'll see tomorrow when it's colder outside and I need the hear more.

It's 2 year old red oak, but I didn't split and stack it in a good spot. Next year's wood is stacked better. This stuff was in just the wrong spot on the hill that it didn't get much sun or wind.

I know. I don't listen real good apparently.

The secondary combustion was going fine, just sizzling in the ends. We'll see tomorrow when it's colder outside and I need the hear more.

It's 2 year old red oak, but I didn't split and stack it in a good spot. Next year's wood is stacked better. This stuff was in just the wrong spot on the hill that it didn't get much sun or wind.
if you hear any sizzling its not dry enough.

Boy I'm sure jealous, I've been wanting a tundra the more I look at them, finally figured out it will fit, the dimensions on the website must be from airbox yo front of stove because what I seen at Menard's was a lot smaller than 4 foot front to back

if you hear any sizzling its not dry enough.

Yeah. Too late now. It seem to be dry enough for the furnace to use, as I woke up to the house being the correct temperature and a pile of coals in the furnace. There's a lot of red oak in the mix, that seems to be the wettest. Makes sense.

I'll add some pallet wood as needed. Next years wood will be much better, as it's stacked on top of a hill in an open field. This was kind of an experiment, I stacked it in the pasture next to the woods instead of hauling it all of the way out. Didn't work out as I'd hoped.

Boy I'm sure jealous, I've been wanting a tundra the more I look at them, finally figured out it will fit, the dimensions on the website must be from airbox yo front of stove because what I seen at Menard's was a lot smaller than 4 foot front to back

If you need any measurements let me know. It'll only take a minute to walk downstairs.

Here's some numbers for you.

Filter box length - 15 1/2"
Furnace length - 33"

So the total length is about 48". Add in some room on the back to make your bends on your stove pipe. I have 12" here, and could probably go down to 8" easily. Less than that and it might get tight. Depends on your chimney design of course, you might be able to do better.

6968b908d37f33700a35f52af790f61a.jpg

Also you're going to need room to open the door, at least 20".

My total length at the moment, counting the swing of the door, is right around 6 1/2'

Any other pictures or questions let me know.

Thanks, its only 1\2" longer than my current stove, but the flu is on the long side, I'll do some measuring and playing, its looking more and more like it will fit

Here's some numbers for you.

Filter box length - 15 1/2"
Furnace length - 33"

So the total length is about 48". Add in some room on the back to make your bends on your stove pipe. I have 12" here, and could probably go down to 8" easily. Less than that and it might get tight. Depends on your chimney design of course, you might be able to do better.

6968b908d37f33700a35f52af790f61a.jpg

Also you're going to need room to open the door, at least 20".

My total length at the moment, counting the swing of the door, is right around 6 1/2'

Any other pictures or questions let me know.

I thought the tundra had a top vent? Or can you hook the stove pipe from the top or back depending on the install?

The Blaze King Apex is a top vent furnace. The Englander is a top vent also.

The only concern I see with the install is the lack of a clean out in the rear of the furnace .in my experience Flaky stuff will accumulate there and you'll have periodically disassemble that to get to it or it will plug especially if your wood is only half seasoned . I have a tee on mine and it is recommended in the book to have one if you set it up this way

I did that on purpose flotek.

The stove pipe is screwed together well, except that the thimble can be removed from the chimney and the pipe can be slid from the back of the stove. When it's time to clean it out I just bump the stove foreword about 2 or 3 inches and the stove pipe will come right out.

It's a bit more work but I think I can do a better job. On my old furnace I used to use this time to clean out the top of the firebox, I'm sure this one will be similar.

Latest posts

Back