Third time on spurs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember one of my first jobs when I got to Alaska, I was topping out a little fir... notched it, rigged it, and looked down and told the guys " ok, let it run a little, you know what I mean, right?" They said yes... they were lying... I spurred out on that one, lol. But thankfully I had choked my flipline.

Falling on your flip line is no fun. I broke three ribs doing that once. I was a mighty sore unit for about 10 weeks.

Those heavy belts don't bend too much when they are slammed upwards into your short ribs. I'd advocate a second tie-in with your climbing line choked nice and close, so that your seat/leg straps do much of the support in a probable fall scenario.

Falling on your flip line is no fun. I broke three ribs doing that once. I was a mighty sore unit for about 10 weeks.

Those heavy belts don't bend too much when they are slammed upwards into your short ribs. I'd advocate a second tie-in with your climbing line choked nice and close, so that your seat/leg straps do much of the support in a probable fall scenario.
Oh yeah, always... TITS...

Thanks to everyone who posted. I really appreciate the expertise and I love how the arborist community is always willing to help a fellow arborist. A quick update, I declined the climb and told the owner I don't think I have the confidence in my ability yet to do the job I could tell he wasn't happy but there wasn't much he could so about it. He was able to get the truck close enough to do the job. As for some of the comments regarding safety, I was the most experienced and highly trained person at my last job so I set the standard for safety and I believe that nothing is more important than everyone going home at the end of the day. My new job however is efficiency, quality, safety in that order (direct quote from owner). I am very con licted about having safety come third and am wondering what everyone's take is. I understand this is a industry where we have ro risk our lives to make money every day.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I really appreciate the expertise and I love how the arborist community is always willing to help a fellow arborist. A quick update, I declined the climb and told the owner I don't think I have the confidence in my ability yet to do the job I could tell he wasn't happy but there wasn't much he could so about it. He was able to get the truck close enough to do the job. As for some of the comments regarding safety, I was the most experienced and highly trained person at my last job so I set the standard for safety and I believe that nothing is more important than everyone going home at the end of the day. My new job however is efficiency, quality, safety in that order (direct quote from owner). I am very con licted about having safety come third and am wondering what everyone's take is. I understand this is a industry where we have ro risk our lives to make money every day.
He's got them totally backwards, WTF...

The best way to avoid that wild ride is to leave a bunch of branches on one side, perpendicular to the direction you intend to drop the top. Those branches will dampen the movement, and make it all slow and easy. Then... just keep cutting off chunks and branches as you come back down. Safely, with no wild rides at the top.

I'm a novice climber myself. This is interesting advice I hadn't heard from the climbers teaching me. So the perpendicular branches you are leaving are they on the top you're dropping, or are you leaving a few at 90 degrees on the stem that you're tied into? Because as I think about it it almost seems like leaving some on the stem (if you can) you're on would diminish and dampen the bounce of the stem.

Edit: To the OP, yeah anyone who admits that safety is third behind efficiency would raise some red flags for me. In my experience if you're coming from govt. work to private expect safety to not be the focal point that you may be used to from some outfits. The one you're working for may be one of them. Welp...I guess he's flat out said it...... That would make me think...

I'm a novice climber myself. This is interesting advice I hadn't heard from the climbers teaching me. So the perpendicular branches you are leaving are they on the top you're dropping, or are you leaving a few at 90 degrees on the stem that you're tied into? Because as I think about it it almost seems like leaving some on the stem (if you can) you're on would diminish and dampen the bounce of the stem.
Correct. Leave a few on the way up.

are you leaving a few at 90 degrees on the stem that you're tied into? Because as I think about it it almost seems like leaving some on the stem (if you can) you're on would diminish and dampen the bounce of the stem.

Yep. That is it entirely. Even branches left anywhere will dampen the movement, it's just that you get maximum effect from high perpendicular-to-the-movement branches. They swish through the air more and absorb more energy that way.

They can also be used for a reliable gin point for various ropes, too.

It occurs to me that those perpendicular branches can serve another purpose, too. When roping down lots of wood, they will intercept swinging branches/logs that might pass under the gin point into an adjacent house or power line. Just sometimes. Other times, they can tangle with the branches coming down and turn an easy job into a nightmare.

I like to leave a small stub just below the riggin sling for my climbline when taking a top. Sometimes it's not possible but i feel better having my weight on my climbline for the ride. A big thing on tops and big wood is the guy running the rope. If he's good minimal movement-not good your going for a ride and the big wood is gonna beat your bones up. Know your hitch or device well and there's not much difference in working height. I don't wanna fall from 10 feet so 100' or 10' is the same to me.
The higher you are you have more room for branches to swing over structures. The lowest limbs are the hardest ones and biggest usually. It's a pine so it's not like he's putting ya on a wide sprawling complicated oak. And yeah getting ya back on the ground and on to the next one is #1 priority around here. Unfortunately safety is behind property damage and production...
Good luck man and your best bet might be to learn some stuff and find another company. They all operate slightly different so just find a good fit for you. It can be a enjoyable job with the right crew/style. Youtube and the people on here are your friend. Learn knots and practice them when sitting around

Back