This is getting addicting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After seeing the pics of the first tree I milled up, my 2 brothers were interested in seeing how it was done. I dropped a standing dead swamp oak(?) and cut it into 3 logs. We agreed on today to meet and mill up some boards. My youngest brother caught a bug and couldn't make it but we got some milling done anyway.

Here is the tree standing next to my 16" ms361.

P1020057 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

As you can see it is drying and checking already.

P1020058 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

The saw at the base shows how tall it is.

P1020059 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

Still going up

P1020060 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

Got her down and cut in 9'6" logs, the longest my rails will fit.

P1020061 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

P1020062 by toycowfarm, on Flickr
First cut

P1020063 by toycowfarm, on Flickr
Yep, he is hooked. Look at that grain!

P1020064 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

P1020074 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

If you look almost to the edge you can see the dying maple with the branches missing.

P1020075 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

She is a big one.

P1020076 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

And tall

P1020077 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

6' reach only gets this far

P1020078 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

We had a great time, nothing like fresh air, 2 stroke smoke and sawdust.
Looks like I have enough to keep me out of trouble this winter.

ETA, This is the first time my brother milled any wood and he is already talking about projects to use the wood on and bandsaw mills.

Last edited:
Looks like alot of fun. Hopefully I will find a milling saw I can afford some day.

nice work cjk! glad to see another sconnie on here.

milling is no doubt addicting, i started out with an 50cc saw, then i got two 100cc saws, then i dug out my basement (by hand) for space to have a woodshop, then i built a bandsaw mill! (oh i also built a solar kiln) :smile2:

that's some beautiful wood, btw!

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/188322.htm

How about a nice 090G Stihl for $10. This is a benefit raffle for a member who lost his shop to fire. I bet that is a milling monster:eek:uttahere2:

Thanks I had read about the fire but I had not seen the raffle, going to get a few tickets. Any idea on how readily parts are available. Or would it be better as a show piece?

milling is no doubt addicting, i started out with an 50cc saw, then i got two 100cc saws, then i dug out my basement (by hand) for space to have a woodshop, then i built a bandsaw mill! (oh i also built a solar kiln) :smile2:

Howdy neighbor. I hear ya. I don't have a wood shop or many shop tools at the moment. I am planning on building a workshop in the near future and will have to make room for some woodworking tools if my brother doesn't find a use for the wood first.:msp_tongue:

We going to need to see some of them pictures! I would like to see your mill and kiln as I hope to do the same in 3-5 yrs.

Remember, no pics, it didn't happen :biggrin:

We had another great day in the woods today. Got to work with both of my brothers today. We dropped this dying oak.
The next victim.

P1020071 by toycowfarm, on Flickr
You can just see my brothers head at the bottom.

P1020072 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

Not much firewood.

P1020082 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

Safely down, only missed my mark by a mile, and cut in to 4-9' lengths and a shorter piece.

P1020083 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

The cutting crew, 048, 026 and 361.

P1020084 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

Rails set up on the first log ready to cut.

P1020085 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

She's a beauty.

P1020086 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

Little brother giving it a whirl

P1020090 by toycowfarm, on Flickr

looks like your off to a great start. those are some really nice looking logs too, good milling size and straight!

nice milling ...when a stump has a big bell and the wood looks like wrinkles..thats curly grain and is very popular with wood turners for bowls and such and can make you some money ..maples tend to do it the most..just something to look for and is a good way to recoop your fuel cost at the least...keep on milling its awesome!

Latest posts

Back