this is it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastwoodGang4

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In NE Ohio this weekend it's as cold as we've seen this year. forecast lows from 1 to -5 over the next few days. As I was carting in wood tonight with a rather bitter wind chill blowing on my face i thought this is the reason we all cut, load, haul, unload, split, stack, carry, stack again, and toss into the woodburner for. I'm sure other folks in the U.S. have seen and are seeing colder temps already this year, but it's sort of satisfying to see all that hard work going into keeping the house warm and then listening to the neighbor's gas meter zinging away. It's music to my ears to hear a neighbor's gas meter about to fly apart while I'm back at the wood pile. It makes it all worth it.

yup cold this weekend and into the begining of next week. Was bringing in another load into the garage today also. Gonna be cold, button up and stay warm!

I have to agree,there is a certain satisfaction sitting in my nice warm,wood heated house in a pair of shorts,while outside the temp is plumetting past-20F.:cheers:

I think you speak for everyone in the forum Eastwodgang4. It has been a pretty mild winter( or should I say extended autumn) here in PA. I have however pretty much burned up all of the seasoned premo hard woods, I stacked about 18 months ago. It was only about 2 chords give or take a half chord. I have some junky old scotchpine and there is no shortage of standing dead and stuff like that. We heat with oil, so there is no meter to hear, just that chincey little gravity powered guage on the tank;D There is something to be said for keeping it simple though;D
Hey, does anyone have a formula for figuring out how much oil/money I save by using wood to heat. I figure there are a lot of variables and fluctuations :rock: from year to year but I figure it can be done and if it can, the guy who figured it out, probably hangs out here.

the weather man said about twenty below tonight. High today was five below. Been at least ten below at night for the last few days. Charmaster is keeping the house about sixty eight degrees. Going through alot of oak though.

Hasn't been ?????y cold here but was down in the teens/very low 20s for the past week. Warmed up yesterday. I've gone through 3.25 cord for the season so far but done a 1/3 cord in past week alone. Junk wood though, Willow.

Harry K

I was cutting and splitting wood most of the weekend. It seemed like I had to file chains a bunch more with the frozen wood / snow / dirt in old bark. I had to file before I even got the tank empty. It was another of those days that my wife thinks I am crazy for being outside.

I snagged a neighbors wood stash from a few years ago when he quit burning wood. He wanted it out of there. I'll pick through it and take most everything that is decent.

We're supposed to hit a high of ~30 mid week and then get cold again.

Stay warm

Don

You got it brother!

I was thinking on the same line. This is why the boys and I busted our butts to get wood cut, split and stacked back in the fall when the weather was decent for such work. There is satisfaction in wood supplied warmth knowing that gas meter aint turning a lick:clap:

I got a little splitting it on Saturday, but I had to blow snow to get back to the splitter. It needed to be warmed up to start. Blew the belt on the snowblower and had to boost the pickup to even get started. Finally got about a half a pickup load split. Wood sure splits nice when it is cold. -38F this morning and my house was about 73 degrees. Garage was nice and toasty, too!

Well, this -19 and -singles around the clock is having it's impact on the heat, the cold is winning over the wood burner, so the propane furnace is making up the difference, helping to maintain about 69-70 in the core of the house, this place does not retain warm air very well during days like this. Oak/locust are not the big heat producers during the day, faster burning silver maple and cherry have had a much better impact on maintaining the comfortable heating level, backwards I know, but that's how it's working. When the house starts cooling off I know it's only a bed of coals remaining, coals don't provide much heat for us, in a readiant style stove it works great, but not so in the furnace.

Still, the LP usage is pretty small, for today it'll probably only be 5gals or less, whereas if we relied on it solely it would be 1-2gallons per hour for 72*.

-29F the past two mornings...hitting a high of about -9F today...my old combo wood boiler is keeping the house a nice toasty 75-80 on nice dry jack pine :cheers:

It was -17F here in South Dakota early Saturday morning---went out and cut some dead elm in the afternoon when it warmed up to about +5 but there was no wind and it was quite refreshing --perfect weather to work hard in

this just came across, nice. :bang:

-Ralph

HEAVY SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM TUESDAY TO 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY
Issue Time: 3:57PM EST, Monday Feb 5, 2007
Valid Until: 12:00AM EST, Tuesday Feb 6, 2007
Back to summary

UNTIL 12:00AM EST
Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Wilmington Ohio -> http://www.stormdisplay.com/warnings.asp?cmd=update&state_abr=OH 357 PM EST Mon Feb 5 2007

Bracken-Robertson-Mason-Lewis-Brown-Highland-Adams-Pike-Scioto- Including The Cities Of... Brooksville... Mount Olivet... Maysville... Vanceburg... Georgetown... Hillsboro... West Union... Piketon... Portsmouth

... Heavy Snow Warning In Effect From 4 PM Tuesday To 7 AM EST Wednesday...

The National Weather Service In Wilmington Has Issued A Heavy Snow Warning... Which Is In Effect From 4 PM Tuesday To 7 AM EST Wednesday. The Winter Storm Watch Is No Longer In Effect.

A Clipper System Will Bring Snow To The Area Tuesday Afternoon Into The Overnight Hours. With The Arctic Air In Place Across The Region... It Is Likely That 3 To 5 Inches Of Snow Will Fall During This Time.

Remember... A Heavy Snow Warning Means Severe Winter Weather Conditions Are Imminent Or Highly Likely.

this just came across, nice. :bang:

-Ralph

Issue Time: 3:57PM EST, Monday Feb 5, 2007
Valid Until: 12:00AM EST, Tuesday Feb 6, 2007
Back to summary

UNTIL 12:00AM EST
Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Wilmington Ohio -> http://www.stormdisplay.com/warnings.asp?cmd=update&state_abr=OH 357 PM EST Mon Feb 5 2007

Bracken-Robertson-Mason-Lewis-Brown-Highland-Adams-Pike-Scioto- Including The Cities Of... Brooksville... Mount Olivet... Maysville... Vanceburg... Georgetown... Hillsboro... West Union... Piketon... Portsmouth

... Heavy Snow Warning In Effect From 4 PM Tuesday To 7 AM EST Wednesday...

The National Weather Service In Wilmington Has Issued A Heavy Snow Warning... Which Is In Effect From 4 PM Tuesday To 7 AM EST Wednesday. The Winter Storm Watch Is No Longer In Effect.

A Clipper System Will Bring Snow To The Area Tuesday Afternoon Into The Overnight Hours. With The Arctic Air In Place Across The Region... It Is Likely That 3 To 5 Inches Of Snow Will Fall During This Time.

Remember... A Heavy Snow Warning Means Severe Winter Weather Conditions Are Imminent Or Highly Likely.

Why can't we get that stuff up here! What I wouldn't give for a bunch of snow!! I put my order in last summer and still no delivery.:angry:

Back