this is something i was never taught...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forestryworks

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Theres no sutch thing as " O let me stop everything and go get a 25 inch to drop one tree".
Bore cutting is a fact of life with a hardwood cutter..

i cut hardwoods everyday

and on the big stuff i rarely bore cut

get the wood on the ground in as few cuts as possible,
hell you already got cut alot with the limbin'

joesawer

joesawer

Addicted to ArboristSite
I cut high value hard woods for mills in the southeast for years and rareley needed a bore cut. It suddenly became a trend a few years ago.
As for wedgeing, what about when the weight of a bird finaly tips a big love bird? I wonder if there is a chart to calculate the weight of a bird. If there is I wonder if it calculates how far away from the trunk it has to be in order to tip the tree.

RandyMac

RandyMac

Stiff Member
Uh huh.
I have to go with the folks who believe that the current bore cutting fad is overblown. I have indeed used bore (plunge) cuts, not often, mostly when bucking large logs in a bind, once in awhile to remove chunks from a large undercut.
Maybe it's a small saw thing.

RandyMac

Nailsbeats

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
It's that and a hardwood thing. Long bars don't bore very well for sure. I was just talking to the owner of one of the bigger logging outfits around here and he claims they bore cut everything, 20" bars too. I personally only bore heavy leaners and a few other rare situations. It is very useful in cold weather when it is hard to keep up to a leaner without a barber chair, it doesn't take much at all to do that to a Red Oak when its below 0.

hammerlogging

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have no problem boring with 28-32" bars, personally. And the more trees you can bore all the way through, the faster. And, face cuts all done on one side more often. Trendy? damn.

There's lots a fellows around these mountains that would say the same about a face cut and hinge- overrated. Course, there's about half as many of those guys as there'd be if they'd tried....progress . I'm comfortable with you all not liking it, please feel free to knock it. Its good technique.

Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
I have no problem boring with 28-32" bars, personally. And the more trees you can bore all the way through, the faster. And, face cuts all done on one side more often. Trendy? damn.

There's lots a fellows around these mountains that would say the same about a face cut and hinge- overrated. Course, there's about half as many of those guys as there'd be if they'd tried....progress . I'm comfortable with you all not liking it, please feel free to knock it. Its good technique.

LOL...I'm tired of arguing about it. It's just another in a long list of things that most of us will never agree on. Hell, use dynaminte and a D-9 to fall your trees...or fingernail clippers and pinking shears, whatever works. I think the main thing to remember is not to get locked in to one way of thinking. Too many times guys seem to think that if they just follow all the advice in the book the tree will go exactly where they want. Trees don't read. :cheers:

hammerlogging

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
G- I'm way down with the "overengineering inspector" attitude- just noticed your signature, I totally get that mentality, if that is I am interpreting it right. "Shut up kid and work." If bore cuts fall into that category for you, I understand.
I'm not clear on how bore cutting can be used to compensate for sloppy cutting. Sloppy cutting seems to come from the one running the saw, regardless of techinique attempted. Whatever. Happy Sunday.

slowp
Please try and get your trees on the ground. I won't say where, but I have been coming across a lot of hangups lately. I don't hear the guys in that area using wedges much. I don't think they are thinking about the people who have to come in AFTER the falling. They do put a little teeny piece of Danger Tree flagging on the hangups. This is my pet peeve of the month. I'll be crawling through the fell and buck and see what looks to my near sighted eyes like a leaner, (yup, I should have the glasses along) then I see the chunks from trying to get the tree unstuck, and I realize it isn't just a leaner, then I utter a bad word and start detouring around, but sometimes the hangups are so prevalant, there is nowhere to detour to. So I don't care what kind of cut you do. Be safe and TRY HARD TO GET THE TREE ON THE GROUND. Rant over. All is happiness and good thoughts now. Picture follows. This was just one of many spots. You may now stone me.
attachment.php

Burvol

Burvol

Bullbuck
I told you earlier I would have come up to work!!! Jokers from Montana:( They should at least skin those leaners as well... Hey dude, swingin' smaller timber in a tight partial doesn't always work, does it?

slowp
Tell me these weren't fallers. Tell me these were firewood cutters...or something. How long had the hangups been there? And what did they finally do about them?

Look closely, you will see the little bit of danger tree flagging. That is what they do about them. There are some guys who can get the trees on the ground there, but I'm seeing more hangups in this unit than on any other. Most of the fallers around here are able to work the trees so they will miss a big tree or old growth leave tree. Those hangups are hanging in an old, live cedar.

Last edited:

Latest posts