This is why I do it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sly13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Besides getting to stick it to the gas man, it's nice to be a little self sufficient. Was cold lastnight "single digits anyway" NW wind was howling in the 20's and 30's. Power goes out grabbed our little generator plugged blower, insert, a light and TV in, back to normal. Only lasted about 3 hours not 8 days like a few years ago. Everyone was warm, happy and content. That's when I break out "the next time I ask you guys to help me with wood I don't want any belly aching." :hmm3grin2orange: I might be starting to sound a little like my Dad. Keep safe and warm. Scott

Lol. Good for you! I have a 10,7,and 3 yr old. Last Sunday I told the two oldest to bring in wood to the basement. I back up a 4x8 trailer right to the basement door so its easy to do! So I went out and split wood for a couple hours. When I returned I was pleasantly surprised to see a huge stacked pile of wood by the furnace. I told them that they did such a good job that they can continue to do that for me. It's a good job for them and helps me out a lot! Funny thing is the 3 yr old out works the 2 oldest!

Nice thread about family. The young ones however want to work with you, not for you. Most of the time it is actually more work to have kids help out, it's just slower because more is going on than just getting a chore done. The pay off is years down the road... I had a horse when I was young and had to work on the farm for its room and board. I was a city kid. Glenn always made me feel I was working with him, not for him. My dad was career coast guard. He would say, "I didn't ask you, I told you!" Works commanding a ship, not so well at home, when he was there.

Nice thread about family. The young ones however want to work with you, not for you. Most of the time it is actually more work to have kids help out, it's just slower because more is going on than just getting a chore done. The pay off is years down the road...

I agree.

Bringing in the wood was my son's job as he grew up. I had a little chat over Thanksgiving with him now that he is out flying on his own with minimal hiccups. He told me "Dad, I am so glad you taught me how to work"...then he went on to describe all of his buddies and how they can't hold jobs and are broke all of the time.
He said"I really get why you were hard on me as I got older....life ain't an easy thing".

He also understood that when he worked he got paid.New 1187 Remington 12 gauge shotgun,chestwaders,cases of shells,saxaphone,bow and all of the goodies not to mention countless other things.
Plus along the way he learned to show up on time and do exactly what he said he would do no matter the chore or difficulty level.The sun could even go down and if he was not done he'd still hump it out.

Yes I'm proud of my boy!
Hoofing wood is where it all started.

I hated firewood when I was a kid....up until I figured out how to get paid for it. Cutting up old pallets with a bow saw was tough. The cash made it all worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back