John Deere 60V what am i doing wrong??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chain tooth

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I inherited my dad's John Deere 60V - which had sat idle for many many years. I cleaned it up and went about reconditioning everything ex: new fuel filter, fuel lines, spark, carb kit, spark etc etc. Under all the dust and caked on sawdust it was in very good condition and top it off it still had excellent spark and compression.

I set the carb according to spec (gently seat H and L needs and one full turn out) and as much as pulled it would not start.

I backed out the (L) low speed needle approx. one half turn thinking that stock setting was still two lean and after some fiddling (adjusting the idle screw in and out) i was able to get it running and idling.

And it started pretty consistently for a few days...that is until i decided to go after (H) high speed needle.

At full throttle there was considerable blue smoke and slight oiling around the muffler.

Today i started it up as normal. Let it warm up and took it to full throttle with the same smoke. I turned the (H) in a 1/8-1/4 turn in thinking that would lean out the mixture and reduce the smoking and it did.

Up to full throttle back down to idle...good. BUT it was a little blubbery on low circuit so a turned it in slightly - rev's came up sounded better at idle.

Up to to full throttle and it would hang before coming back down to idle???

I adjusted the idle screw thinking that might have something to do with it.
and then it died and i couldn't get it to restart???

Pull pull pull pull ...nothing.

Out of frustration i started over ..back to the manual settings ..still nothing.

I checked the plug: oil fouled. I cleaned it up...checked the spark was good...still nothing.

I fiddled around with it some more...nothing specific: made sure the plug was extra clean. Let the saw dry out a little..thinking i was working with a flooding situation and i did manage to get it running "sort of" (wasn't running consistant nor would it idle)

The only thing I did different today was add new fuel (ratio was correct)

I have only one specific question...the manual doesn't cover on where to start the screw?? it only says "adjust it until the chain starts to move then a 1/4 turn out" Should it full screwed in to start or screw it out??

Other than that anyone have any suggestions?? Ideas??

Thank you in advance CT

Set both screws to one and a quarter turn in the idle set screw until it just begins to open thebutterfly and then adjust from there.

Turning the H and L screws won't help sometimes if the inlet lever in the carburetor isn't set right. If it was mine I would take the carb apart, clean it, put a new kit in it and set the inlet lever to the level position. Whichever carb you have on it you can go to their website and find the correct adjustments for it.

so i went back it. minor stuff: making sure the fuel cap was venting properly etc. too late in the day to dig into it.

BUT now...it doesn't run unless its full choke?? take off the choke and it immediately dies.

i am going to go at it tomorrow rechecking the fuel filter and fuel lines and then going after the carb.

i know its a tillotson carburetor but of course i don't know which one or which carb kit it takes ...i've rebuilt it before and of course i didn't write down the kit number

something changed today and it doesn't make sense. i have been making steady progress tuning that carb and all of sudden..nothing.

the only thing i did today ...differently than the previous days was put in fresh gas and tweak the High Speed. after that Sh't went down hill.

the only other thing worth noting is that i started with full tank this a.m. and for the little time it ran..it manage to drink 2/3's of tank of fuel?? too me thats excessive

keep the ideas coming!! thanks for the help

CT

I know you said it had good compression, but how did you determine this? Also did you pull the muffler? I've had saws that felt like they had good comp at the rope, but we're scored and wouldn't run right.

i tested compression with an automotive compression tester - yes pulled muffler..other than oil smear everything looked bright and clean

update: so i went at it this morning and started with the fuel line and filter. despite having cleaned it two days prior the felt filter sleeve was caked black.

i then went to the fuel line from tank to carb. its a clear line and the grime that i thought was shadow was actually brown gunk.

annnnnnnnnnd then the carb.... so much for the carb kit that had less than hours time on it....everything brown gunk. the fuel inlet clogged. screen clogged. etc etc etc

its soaking in seafoam (going to steal my wife's ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and foam it in that)

i rinse the tank a few times: much black. some clear slime and the remains of a couple of bugs.

my current question is: are all carb kits the same quality or some manufacturers better than others?

I would assume the kit is still good as long as it isn't stiff or torn, I would wash it in some premix and go on. definitely replace the fuel line and filter. You should be good to go then.

i don't see how the oiler/oil could be spilling into the fuel supply??

imo the black gunk i am finding in the tank is what is left of original fuel line (the OEM fuel lines are black rubber and the stuff acts dissolved rubber)

its possible i dint clean out the tank as good as i could the first time around.

i picked up a Stens carb kit today

my last carb kit contained this diaphragm (circle) the new does not...whats the difference?? and should i care??

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 9
That is just a Teflon gasket, just use the other one.

If your oiler is a plunger type that runs off of a lobe on your crankshaft, then the O-rings are critical, as they keep bar oil
out of your crankcase, and keep engine vacuum in. I am not a big old Echo mechanic, but I know enough to replace those O-rings..........
60v.gif

its something i hadn't considered. it looks pretty straightforward (famous last words)...but haven't taken one apart before.

i have plenty of o'rings on hand

UPDATE:

new oiler o'ring seals
new carb kit
new fuel lines
new fuel filter
NGK sparkplug
clean air filter
clean fuel tank
new gas
new spur sprocket
new chain

set the carb to factory settings and it started first pull. adjusted low speed. idle. adjusted high speed

ran it for nearly 20 minutes and it ran great. shut it off. started first pull.

let it sit for awhile and started to show the wife. started first pull. ran great. smooth acceleration and back down to idle no problem...she did not recognize the greatness of my endeavors but what can you do.

so today was my first attempt at a cut.

i cut for 10-15 minutes without issue. i noticed the chain needed to be tighten and i wanted to fuel up before i continued cutting

annnnnnnnnnnnnnd after tightening the chain and adding new fuel it WOULD NOT START!!

pull pull pull not even a rumble...

pulled the plug it looked good but it was slightly gas fouled...cleaned and dried...had good spark

pull pull pull pull pull nothing....

pulled the air filter still clean

more pulls..same result

i have no idea whats going on. i decided to leave it alone and try it again tomorrow.

so where do i go from here?? it was starting hot yesterday. what changed???

the only thing worth noting is that when i went to add more fuel: when i unscrewed the fuel cap it sounded like i was opening a can of soft drink.. strong vacuum

Back