This is why we do what we do.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-14 with clear skies. 73 inside. Burning some American Elm then load it up with red oak at bed time:drinkingcoffee:

That's the beauty of it fellas, To each his own on the temp we like. 67, 68 is good for the wife and I. 80 for a buddy and he's in an electric blanket. HAHA. Shorts yr round for me inside. Pretty mild winter here minus the last week. Hope your wood holds out.

When I was growing up they figured that winter meant cold weather. I never saw my school close because of weather but I did see -40º temperatures in the morning on a few occasions. I only lived about 1/2 mile from my high school so bus or car issues never entered the picture for me. A brisk 10 minute walk and I was at school. "uphill both ways" I love it but I lived on fairly flat land.

When I was growing up they figured that winter meant cold weather. I never saw my school close because of weather but I did see -40º temperatures in the morning on a few occasions. I only lived about 1/2 mile from my high school so bus or car issues never entered the picture for me. A brisk 10 minute walk and I was at school. "uphill both ways" I love it but I lived on fairly flat land.

yep, spent 13 years in the Land of Lincoln and pretty flat; missed the north country so moved back while in my mid thirties and been going up hill both ways ever since!

Going to school back in the 50's and 60's the weather people hadn't invented windchill. Used to ride bikes year round even when it was -20 to -30. The good ol days.

I can only attest to going to school in the 70's and 80's but we used to ride our bikes all over as well. Everyday after school it seemed that us townies would make the trek down to the river to go sledding or ice skating. I tried took my kids and showed them where we used to go and they just couldn't imagine being out on the ice, having to shovel all the snow off the ice, walking or riding your bike that far, not to mention it being cold. Seemed like some high schoolers would always manage to come down with a gas can and get a fire going! Better quit, getting all nostalgic and stuff.

I can only attest to going to school in the 70's and 80's but we used to ride our bikes all over as well. Everyday after school it seemed that us townies would make the trek down to the river to go sledding or ice skating. I tried took my kids and showed them where we used to go and they just couldn't imagine being out on the ice, having to shovel all the snow off the ice, walking or riding your bike that far, not to mention it being cold. Seemed like some high schoolers would always manage to come down with a gas can and get a fire going! Better quit, getting all nostalgic and stuff.

wow i love it. its amazing the changes in society we've seen. when i was a kid we went out riding bikes with no food or water, and we'd be gone for hours, and got lost many times. now i see kids riding bikes in the same places i did and i think, they should get home, its not safe for em... i went with some friends and their kids told the parents what restaurants they wanted to go to. i'm thinking, i've lived here my whole life and i've never heard of those restaurants, but the kids know every restaurant in all the nearest towns. when i was a kid and out somewhere with my parents no matter how hungry i was, we ate when we got home cause it was cheaper.

Back on the OP's title on why we do what we do: even if it wasn't for the financial savings, and even if there weren't any health benefits, I'd still fight the wood ticks in the summer and the snow and cold in the winter to cut firewood, and here's why - favorite spot in the house for daughter #2; after every bath and shower, she either sits or lays there for awhile soaking up the Btu's.
GEDC0312.JPG

yep, spent 13 years in the Land of Lincoln and pretty flat; missed the north country so moved back while in my mid thirties and been going up hill both ways ever since!
I didn't grow up here Johnny. I grew up in a suburb of Montreal. We saw -40º almost every year. I don't think I have seen colder than -10º around here.

Back on the OP's title on why we do what we do: even if it wasn't for the financial savings, and even if there weren't any health benefits, I'd still fight the wood ticks in the summer and the snow and cold in the winter to cut firewood, and here's why - favorite spot in the house for daughter #2; after every bath and shower, she either sits or lays there for awhile soaking up the Btu's.
View attachment 406072
When mine were that young they used to walk to the back sliding glass door and lay naked in the sunshine coming through the south facing window. I'm thinking back that they looked every bit as relaxed for the same reason. It was a warm cozy place to lay down and just feel good.

Back