This`ll make you cringe.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know its all wrong when you see a ladder up a tree with a chainsaw.

That was nasty!! You could see the lower half of his leg below the knee dangling there, that was a very very bad break.

After reading what you guys posted I can't bring myself to watch it. Having had broken bones I just can't watch it.

Did anyone watch long enough to see how he got down the ladder? I know I didn't.:taped:

It didn't show that part. It just to him getting his leg over the branch, then cut to an empty ladder leaning on the tree. You can hear sirens in the background. I assume that was the ambulance or first responders coming in.

you have to watch this moroon. over 7 minutes to cut down a 15" tree :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zB5C_zcDvaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zB5C_zcDvaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That will not "buff out."

Man, that had to hurt. I was actually impressed that he was not screaming like a squashed cat after that crushing impact. It had to be really bad when the limb shifted after smashing his leg. I was NOT impressed with his rope technique, though. From what I could see, I wonder why he even roped it. Maybe there was a fence below the limb. Regardless, as soon as I saw him put his foot on the tree crotch, that was a red flag there. Nice medical footage........ blecch.

Looks like he will eventually be OK, though. Maybe a bit wiser, too.

Notice the little Stihl stayed running after he dropped it on the ground.

Last edited:
this is why as a firefighter/medic i have a job....had one guy die last year, bout 30 ft in a tree drunk trying to prune it himself and fall and die of brain hemmorhage....:stupid:

It was a suicide mission. Classic pinned climber scenario, not that he's a pro climber. Just shows how quick it can happen, harness and rope or not, still have to have brains and experience in the equation.

you have to watch this moroon. over 7 minutes to cut down a 15" tree :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zB5C_zcDvaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zB5C_zcDvaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That was more painful to watch than the guy getting his leg broke! I think I could have taken that tree down faster with my Leatherman.

Initially, I couldn't figure out why the limb pivoted like it did, but then I saw the rope he had tied to it. If he got that high to tie a rope to it, why not lop some weight off it? Anyway, he tied it top-heavy and it spun on him and broke both bones in his lower leg and apparently ripped the skin off his shin as well.

In the view of his leg, it looks like they put a vacuum dressing on it which pulls a vacuum over the wound, keeps the blood flowing to the area, keeps the nasty bugs from going in and helps keep the wound draining.

i saw that ladder and heard the chainsaw and i knew before it happened it was going to get ugly

His leg dangling was as bad as Joe Theisman of the Redskins getting his leg broke a few years back (during the super bowl?) when his lower leg was flopping around at the end of the play. That to me is more gross than the stitches and swelling or watching a surgery. Made my stomach queasy watching him lift his leg up over the limb after it was bent the wrong way.:dizzy:

He messed up by cutting all the way thru the hinge. Trying something like that with no experience climbing is gluttin for punishment.

Yep thats what i was thinking cut it till it drops slowly then cut the hinge and it would of fell down not backwards. Common sense, as i am no expert......

i'm no pro but i can see that the limb pivoted like that due to him cutting it an angle and it slid sideways..
i bet the breaches got hung up on something..

watch it get desensitize so if this happens to a cutting buddy your not going to be puking instead of stopping the bleeding and getting his ass to the ER..

Latest posts

Back