this mornings milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonykill

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
today I finally got a chance to mill logs and not just the antique beams I've been milling all summer long. I milled mostly pine, a few pieces of cherry. I left the house at 9, and left my milling area to walk home for lunch at 12:10. I loaded this after lunch. No action shots as I was alone except for my son visiting with his go kart. Besides I forgot the camera. Its only a 200 yard walk, but still, it cuts into my milling time.

I got to use my new to me Pioneer p51. 82 or 83 cc's I forget which. This saw was born to mill. Lots of grunt. Today it was wearing a 24 inch bar and Baileys low pro chain as all the logs today were small. I had no problem with the chain stretching. Soak your new chains overnight in bar oil. Thats what I do, and I don't have any problems.
A few pics below:
th_IMGP02211.jpg

th_IMGP02201.jpg

th_IMGP02191.jpg

This is a heavy saw, heavier than your mother in law. Thankfully I'm not cutting firewood, but pushing it along a log. It really makes me appreciate the hard work that loggers do, after handling an old heavy saw like that.

Nice bundle of wood, stony. Whats ya gonna do with it?

I got a bundle of white pine like that. I am going to panel the inside of the shop with it. Pics should be coming. Plan to get back into the milling as soon as the cold weather ascends upon us. Soon I hope.

Nice bundle of wood, stony. Whats ya gonna do with it?

thanks, I build furniture, Mainly farm tables for a living. So most likely, tables or benches for the tables. The short scraps become doll beds, coffee table legs stock, nothing goes to waste. When it gets too small, in the owb it goes.

I still have a decent amount of logs in the milling area, and I just picked out a few Birch trees that are going to come down shortly.....with a little help.

Nice work Stony, - you only have to walk 200 yards to mill!!! I gotta drive 8 miles :cry: to start my CS!

tNo action shots as I was alone except for my son visiting with his go kart. Besides I forgot the camera. Its only a 200 yard walk, but still, it cuts into my milling time.

A tripod and a camera that can take a photo every minute or so can produce an interesting array of shots. I must try that myself sometime.

Looks like a mean old saw...... I feel for the guys who ran them for a living... No anti vib or anything..... I had to cut up a bunch of brush at work a few years ago with a stihl that was probably 40 years old.... I picked it up started it and ran it about five minutes before I put it away and went home to get my saw:D My wrists where numb in just 5 minutes.

milling every friday

I've been milling every friday for the last few weeks. I didn't get as much done today because I had to fell, buck, and cut the tops into firewood as well. spent 9 to 1 in the milling area. The trees were just outside of my milling area. The thick pieces were 2 standing dead ash that I milled for an upcoming project. A thick, rustic medieval trestle table. I needed a few more slabs. The balance is the 1st 8 feet of a red oak that was just begging to be sawn down. A few pics below. The last is the project of the week. My sons go kart. It desperately needed a cage, so I built one for it out of 2 recycled hammock frames. The saws used today, and my saws of choice as of late were a Pioneer p40 for felling and bucking, and a pair of Pioneer P51's for milling. I like to mill with 2 saws, each mill set up for different thicknesses to speed up the milling process. Plus I get to play with my toys!! pics below
th_IMGP02871.jpg

th_IMGP02881.jpg

th_IMGP02891.jpg

th_IMGP02861.jpg

Latest posts

Back