This tree gets to live, what is it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been going to cut this tree for several years but WOW those thorns are unreal. They are thick like that 10 feet up the trunk. I was told it is black locust, but if that's BL....I don't like it!

Black locust sounds right...I thought honey locust is the one without thorns.

Just googled it....I was wrong again

Last edited:
Makes good firewood, but awful stuff to work around. The thorns not only poke , but they seem to have something that makes them sting and swell.I dont like em at all and they seem to grow like weeds around here.:angry:

Ron

Makes good firewood, but awful stuff to work around. The thorns not only poke , but they seem to have something that makes them sting and swell.I dont like em at all and they seem to grow like weeds around here.:angry:

Ron

In the past young thorns were harvested, dried and used as nails...

I was just reading up on honey lucust and found out not all honey locusts have thorns. These are used for landscaping I have a couple in the yard. Thats why I always thought honeys had the beans and black locust had thorns I suppose

I have heard if you cut into them and let them sit a couple years all that crap will die and fall off. Won't flat tires because they'll rot and get brittle.

This would be the native Honey Locust. Then the scientists got involved and bred the thorns and eventually the pods out of them to make them more desirable as landscape plants. I've been trying to get some to grow near the back of my property but no luck so far. Maybe I just need to move to Iowa. I just think they are interesting and I've heard the deer love the pods.

Oh my. Those things look like sand spurs on steroids. Downright nasty. Who in their right mind would fight one of those trees?

I wonder..OK, say you had to cut one green, couldnt wait or the ringing deal. Take a pole saw and shave as far as you could reach first. Carefully rake up all around the area, then go at it with the regular saw.

Ring the tree and give it about a year most of the thorns will fall off along with the bark its still a mess though:)

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

This would be the native Honey Locust. Then the scientists got involved and bred the thorns and eventually the pods out of them to make them more desirable as landscape plants. I've been trying to get some to grow near the back of my property but no luck so far. Maybe I just need to move to Iowa. I just think they are interesting and I've heard the deer love the pods.

yes, deer love the pods, also catalpa pods. You can clear the thorns with an axe but I have never wanted one that bad

LOL, or maybe Crying Out Loud would be better. That thing is a piece of work, isn't it?

284236d1363136313-img_20130312_183723_711-jpg

i've split some HL but it had been dead standing for a while,no thorns. when i started splittin i found thorns inside that the tree had grown around. stihl sharp .good burning but keep up off the ground.FS

My Dad and I just cut down four of these last week. They are all over here from the deer opening the pods when they eat them. They walk around and drop the seeds and the process starts all over. The four we cut were standing dead for at least two years. The bark pealed off as we were cutting them. The wood is a "stringy" when split, but it burns hot and long.

Latest posts

Back