This week's tasks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-Ranch

Some things happen for a reason
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We're having a small party next weekend and here are a few of the things I have to do to get ready (in addition to non-firewood activities to get the place spruced up). These are in order of importance - the driveway is filled with the wood that has been filling the yard on either side. Finally moved it all back in the driveway so the lawn could be mowed. The last pic is just the latest tree to go down within 100' of the house so that can probably stay for a while. I took the whole week off and the high temperatures are supposed to be in the high 60's most of the week! :cool2:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It looks like you have gotten a good start. Don't wear yourself out before the party. Ron
Yeah, I've been cheating a little bit - this load magically appeared in my driveway a few weekends ago and most of that has been processed (there are still a few of the "bummer" rounds in the first pic of the original post.) I tricked the magician who delivered the load though because he helped me buck it while it was still on the trailer. Thanks to oneoldgeezer. :msp_thumbsup:
attachment.php

Yesterday I trimmed some of the lower branches over the woodstacks - too darn hot to do much else outside. The stacks are open to the south, but as they keep growing they are getting closer to the canopy from the edge of the woods. I know it's not the ideal spot for the fastest seasoning. It is the closest to the OWB and they are out of the way there so that's where they will stay. There are one or two more branches that may have to come down yet. The newest looking wood in the stack is Beech and Hickory. :rock: I notice that the pallets seem to be multiplying though...
attachment.php

attachment.php

Now I have to ask a question. All your wood is stacked so even and neat, no limbs of Y section screwing things up. Why? Do none of the tree up your way not have pain in the tail sections? Everything is to neat. :msp_sneaky:

Now I have to ask a question. All your wood is stacked so even and neat, no limbs of Y section screwing things up. Why? Do none of the tree up your way not have pain in the tail sections? Everything is to neat. :msp_sneaky:
Oh, you want to see behind the curtain, huh? :msp_wink:
Most of the firewood I get isn't as nice as the trailer load above. The Y's, crooks, and oddballs all get thrown on the top of the stacks. I usually end up with a pile of the uglies at the beginning of each season - it gets burned first. I've been cherry-picking all the easy stuff from the piles above so most of what is left is too hard to split by hand or won't stack well.
Here's where a few are hiding:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And the best part is that when you get that mess cleaned up there are at least three more loads here that are ready to go your way.

And the best part is that when you get that mess cleaned up there are at least three more loads here that are ready to go your way.
It's gonna be different after I get this cleaned up - I'm not going to let it collect again.... yeah, right. :bulgy-eyes:

Looks like I'll just have to get more pallets!

Nice stacks and wood! I like your little photo shop images in there, LOL. Repped ya!

Man, it is tough being the ant sometimes. Mid-90's the past few days and I have this to deal with this week:
attachment.php

Potpourri of wood including Black Locust, Red Oak, Ash, Black Walnut, Beech, and some Mystery Wood. I have about half of it bucked and on the ground now with 4 wheelbarrow loads split and stacked. Been taking it easy but trying to get at least a little bit done every evening after work.

Sometimes I think it would be easier to just sit back and be the grasshopper. I guess I can't help myself though - I just emailed another Craigslist score I may be able to pick up on the way home from work! :jester:

It doesn't have to be unloaded this week. You can maybe take a couple of weeks. Then I will need it back to load again! Pulled up 6 more logs out of the woods today. Must haveenough for two more loads. :)

Oh, you want to see behind the curtain, huh? :msp_wink:
Most of the firewood I get isn't as nice as the trailer load above. The Y's, crooks, and oddballs all get thrown on the top of the stacks. I usually end up with a pile of the uglies at the beginning of each season - it gets burned first. I've been cherry-picking all the easy stuff from the piles above so most of what is left is too hard to split by hand or won't stack well.
Here's where a few are hiding:

---those uglies look like the five cord of stuff the bucket truck guys left. Not a single nice square cut in the pile (except what I recut) not two lengths the same length (again, except what I had to recut). It's giving me and mr fiskars quite the workout.

Back