Those of you who have a GRCS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not looking to replace, just cut down on the rentals. Obviously nothing but another crane is going to replace a crane.

I have a job coming up that I underbid thinking I could do it without a crane and ended up getting it. It has one big lead going towards the house that worries me a bit. I went back and looked at it and think I can do it with a GRCS. We'll see. I either made out like a bandit or am about to look like a fool and get hosed.

but its only as good as what you have up high to work with right? As in where you can put your work rope. If you dont have the height(and strength) there then your screwed anyway right? obv I dont have one. I never could wrap my mind around what it can do vs the cost. NOT saying its a bad thing just that I never really saw its uses to justify its cost. Now if you did a lot of storm work then maybe. I can set tension on a line with a block n tackle and a porta wrap. But i dont need to do it very often.

I have one. Don't use it that often, but when I do, it's great.

One of the main advantage I find with this tool, is that while the branch is falling and there is slack in the rope, you can quickly remove all slack with a quick pull. That wound be impossible with a port-a-wrap.

Attach a drill, or better yet, a Milwalkee superhawg and you can quickly pull until there is no tomorrow. I'll sometimes use this to ascend a tree (no wraptor yet :( )

I wanted to buy one years ago, but couldn't justify the price. So I waited, and searched...... And waited and eventually found one on ebay (new) that I jumped on. Drove 4 hours each way to get it, but the price was right.

When yours does arrive, use it on several simple jobs first before tackling the harder stuff. Get to know its limitations.

And No, it won't replace a crane....
However, sometimes you don't have access for a crane. As long as you have a high (and strong) enough place to set your block, the CGRS will get it done....
You'll just end up taking smaller pieces.

Chances are you're gonna get "hosed" on that job if you bid it before you've tried a GRCS (I hope not). You'll just have to chalk that up to experience.

Best of luck.

I took a long hard look at the GRCS and ended up buying the friction drum, even though there's only a couple hundred dollars difference between them at the time here in aus. I've used both. I've spent much of my life on yachts using the same type of winches that the GRCS uses, and in my opinion that device excels at lifting but is less good at lowering and stands some chance of the rope overriding itself on the drum and getting caught up, particularly in the hands of a less skilled operator, particularly in the case of letting it run. Fixing this situation is a realy bummer without skilled guys on the ground, who are exactly the reason you got into trouble in the first place!

The drum runs smoother and takes bigger hits IMO. It's also less likely to override, and easier to operate, and can handle larger ropes (see taking bigger hits). I don't do a lot of lifting with my drum, but there's a huge advantage to being able to pretension the ropes to prevent droop in the rigging which either device does equally well. I just dont find that much call for lifting. From time to time, I tip tie and lift something, but it doesn't really happen all that often. Either device is certainly no substitute for a crane.

In skilled hands, the GRCS is the better lifter for sure. In equally skilled hands, the drum out performs the GRCS as a lowering device. In less skilled hands, the drum is the way to go for sure.

Shaun

Did the job today, GRCS should be here tomorrow. Didn't use a crane:chainsaw::cool:. Took all day but ended up making a smidgen of money without the crane. Looking forward to playing with my new toy though.

I bought one yesterday, need it for two jobs next week. Im feeling quite unremorseful about buying it, was under no illusions I was buying a crane ffs

My GRCS paid for itself in just the first few times it was used. Had it for 9 years now, and wouldn't be without it. Done many jobs, especially storm work, where there was no crane access. The
GRCS and Hobbs are very capable of doing the work of a crane, as long as suitable gin poles exist.

Latest posts

Back