Thoughts on dropping this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much lumber do you figure will come out of that one?

I think,,,,,alot of wood! lol

really though, its about 1500 board ft. I guess.

Raymond, your system sounds good. Actually I hope I don't have another chance to try it out! One of this type of tree is enough for me.

I think,,,,,alot of wood! lol

really though, its about 1500 board ft. I guess.

Raymond, your system sounds good. Actually I hope I don't have another chance to try it out! One of this type of tree is enough for me.
Right on Madrone. Maybe because of it being a Douglas Fir it didn't come apart. We don't have them around here.

Any trees around here with a low fork like that, would of split like a banana. Good job! :cheers:

Really nice job! Your cut looks perfect.

That is some really nice looking wood, we don't have that stuff around every corner around here like you have. Dreaming of climbing and dropping timber like that just gives me a woody.:cheers:

ok here's my question. Never having the opportunity to fall a big tree like that. I noticed from the pics that on the face cut the 45 was bottom cut and the top cut was horizontal. I've always done it the other way. Am I doing it wrong?

Those low to the ground double leaders are easy to drop one trunk at a time if you can reach, that one was borderline, when water gushes you know it can get dodgy, the split did go right down low, wasn't that much room to play with, if the split was a bit lower it would've been a different story

ok here's my question. Never having the opportunity to fall a big tree like that. I noticed from the pics that on the face cut the 45 was bottom cut and the top cut was horizontal. I've always done it the other way. Am I doing it wrong?
Humboldt cut most common used by PNW loggers. Most people use conventional its easier to learn to line up your cuts.

Humboldt cut is generally used to salvage as much wood as you can from the log, but on this tree I did it to try to keep the cut as low as possible to avoid the graft. Actually it's not a true humboldt as there is some angle to it that the pic doesn't show. I wanted to keep the face a bit wide so the tree could have a controlled fall till it cleared the oaks. As it was you can see in the pic that the trunk jumped a good 5-6 ft from the stump. :dizzy:
I would have liked to take down this tree one trunk at a time but would have not been able to get to one of them afterwards as there is no road access one way. I was glad to see them both go the same way.
Especially cause I was standing with my eyes buggin out and a dropped jaw in the other direction.:jawdrop:

Nice job Madrone
IT WILL NOT STAY TOGETHER. Notice the caps?

And no you can not chain them together, when it goes wrong you will have no way of knowing what will happen but it wont be good.

I have a trick to get them to drop in the exact same spot but I feel like I'm talking to myself here so I'm not going to go into it.
How about Big leaf Maple Not the biggest ive done but notice center stem in still shot and watch it go opposite of its primary lean with the other stems in the short video just for info.
attachment.php
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4ahOnGgdHU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4ahOnGgdHU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Thats a great video!!!!! I think i just watched it 20 times.

A few years ago I took down a 34" maple with alot more rot in it than I thought and it ended up going 90º to the face cut. It took a whole lot of time to get my shorts clean after that.

I wish i had a camera everyday at work. There's always some kind of crazy cluster F-cq to deal with when you cut timber everyday. I must say the stress level goes up when you start puttin houses, powerlines, ect. in the game. thats a cool video of the maple!

Another real quicky of a twin stem Stayed together till it hit the ground. Its real short
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ghBZ8z4iB-o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ghBZ8z4iB-o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I wish i had a camera everyday at work. There's always some kind of crazy cluster F-cq to deal with when you cut timber everyday. I must say the stress level goes up when you start puttin houses, powerlines, ect. in the game. thats a cool video of the maple!
Yea houses and power lines defineatly change the game. That first vid if I really Fubarred i could have hit a shed or a fence but I knew where they were going.

A few years ago I took down a 34" maple with alot more rot in it than I thought and it ended up going 90º to the face cut.

I've had 2 with rot do that in the last few months... fortunately, they were small (under 12" dbh) and well clear of everything, no biggie. I had witnesses both times unfortunately....LOL

nice job,
Ian

Good job Cederkerf:clap:, the only problem I seen was now you'll try it again and again.
Good luck with that.

wasnt a rare or first time thing Ive only been doin this for 30 years im just the dumass new guy

I'm right on your heals I started at 17 and I'm 45, I think.
What's that like 28 years? :popcorn:
:computer:Just do me a favor and have a hammer and wedge or two close by. If if you don't need it...I'll even go pick it up and put it back in the truck for ya afterwards.

Back