Thoughts on Milling Saws: Part II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had any time to mill lately. Too much to do on the farm and at work. But next weekend (Thanksgiving Holidays for you folks outside the U.S.A.) i have a 40 inch hickory and some big live oak logs to mill and the double ended setup will be used. As I said earlier, I'm not an expert on this, but it does work and works easily. I see advantages and disadvantages to both approaches (single big powerhead vs. twin powerheads) but for me the twin setup seems to be a good approach.
FWIW, alot of folks have done this in the past, it's just not real common and not alot of people have taken advantage of the information sharing the internet allows (for this particular subject). If it didn't work there probably would be all those double ended bars floating around.:)

I'll update everyone after next weekend. With pictures.

Scott

Running 7 pins sprockets on both saws. I'll get a little more time on the setup before I try stepping up to 8.

Scott

I would be really interested in seeing the speeds of cuts, one power head versus 2. Im really happy to see someone trying to do this, I am getting ready to set up a carriage mill with my chainsaw and I was kicking around running two power heads on it(both 075's). The mill is gonna be set up to take a 60in log so I thought 2 power heads would really speed up the slabbing of large trees. Keep up the good work and posts woodsrunner!

I would be really interested in seeing the speeds of cuts, one power head versus 2. Im really happy to see someone trying to do this, I am getting ready to set up a carriage mill with my chainsaw and I was kicking around running two power heads on it(both 075's). The mill is gonna be set up to take a 60in log so I thought 2 power heads would really speed up the slabbing of large trees. Keep up the good work and posts woodsrunner!

Hey do you want to buy a couple 075's as backup for your mill. I just picked up 2 of them. One was running last time the guy used them and now won't start and the other is mostly complete. See this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=115661

I picked them up for $250 and would sell them for the same since I am regreting the decision a little.

Nice mill setup, good looking grain on that log

attachment.php

Hey do you want to buy a couple 075's as backup for your mill. I just picked up 2 of them. One was running last time the guy used them and now won't start and the other is mostly complete. See this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=115661

I picked them up for $250 and would sell them for the same since I am regreting the decision a little.

I'd pay the $250 but the shipping across the border would kill me. I'd love to have an 075/076 in the collection.

I'd pay the $250 but the shipping across the border would kill me. I'd love to have an 075/076 in the collection.

Well you may be in luck, My parents live in Chilliwack (hour east of vancouver) and I am up there a couple times a year, going to be up there mid december. Don't know how far you are from Chiliwack though?

When you go to visit your folks in Chilliwack put the saws in a sturdy box and send them Greyhound. It's likely the cheapest, you may be able to check their rates on line.

I'm about 4.5 hours' drive north of Chilliwack, or a little over 400 KM (~260 miles). I'd say that Chilli is give-or-take the halfway mark between us, though your drive would likely be faster due to being able to cruise I-5 practically the whole way. The highway up to here is not nearly so wide and straight!

I'm about 4.5 hours' drive north of Chilliwack, or a little over 400 KM (~260 miles). I'd say that Chilli is give-or-take the halfway mark between us, though your drive would likely be faster due to being able to cruise I-5 practically the whole way. The highway up to here is not nearly so wide and straight!

I-5 ! 20 years ago I used to live about 500 yards from I-5, but in SD!

I use greyhound all the time to ship stuff from Ontario...all the way to Victoria BC. My new to me 660 cost $38 and took 6 days for the 5000km trip. A couple of hours drive wouldn't cost much.

I-5 ! 20 years ago I used to live about 500 yards from I-5, but in SD!

from SD to Australia???? Let me guess, you had to go somewhere where there was more interesting wood to mill up.

BMorgan, Any more old growth up in your neck of the woods? What size of bars do you have for that 090 and what do you think of the power?

Well we don't have anything quite on the scale of the coastal region, but the old ones are still pretty big in some areas. Here's a pic I took of a friend standing in front of one of the bigger Douglas Firs I've seen fairly close to town:

attachment.php

That's about the upper limit of what I see locally. The Douglas Firs here grow a lot differently than the coastal ones - they do get big, but I'd say 150-175' is where they normally top out; also they generally don't grow as straight due to wind, dry conditions, fire damage, etc. Almost every big Fir around here will have some fire damage somewhere inside if you cut them apart. If I head an hour's drive East into the mountains, it fairly quickly turns to rainforest again just like the coast, with big Cedars & Hemlocks:

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's the same big Cedar in both pics. The 10-22mm wide-angle lens I had on the camera doesn't really put the tree into perspective, but it was the only way to get the entire thing in a picture, especially since I was alone and had to balance my camera on a tree branch to take it! In the first one, it's hard to tell but I'm standing probably 8 feet from the tree - couldn't get any closer without a springboard due to the huge butt swell - and I'm not much farther than that from the camera either, so that gives you an idea of how the wide-angle lens distorts things. The outhouse in the second pic is probably half the distance between myself and the tree, for reference. I estimated that one to be about 10' diameter, and I've seen some up there probably 15' or so but they're a fair hike in and I haven't been back since I've owned a camera. That cedar is at Quesnel Lake, which is the deepest and largest fjord lake in North America - it approaches 2000' deep. You pretty much feel like you're on the ocean on that lake, and the weather can match it too - I've seen waves approaching 8' during bad storms there.

As for the 090, the longest bar I have for it is a 33", which interestingly I found at an old cabin on the aforementioned lake a few years back. It was rusted to all heck, but after a good soak in oil and rust remover I was able to get the grooves cleaned out and the sprocked freed up and greased. Works fine now, though I still can't believe it knowing what it looked like when I pulled it out from under that cabin! There were a few more out there too, but they were even worse for rust and I haven't been back since to check them out again. I picked that thing up years before the 090, just for the heck of it at the time.

The raw power it produces is incredible - it's like the Harley of the chainsaw world. It isn't the fastest anymore - an 880 or 3120 will beat it in many circumstances where pure torque isn't as critical - but if you need to pull a reeeeeally long bar with just one powerhead there isn't a much better way, except an 090 geardrive. And it's fun to run too - for a while - though earplugs are definitely mandatory even for short runs. I got respect for the old-timers who ran these all day long for months on end with no AV or hearing protection... I know a couple guys like that, and it definitely took its toll on them.

Here's my 090 with the 33" bar cutting a 28" Douglas Fir windfall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V_6A7gD0i4 (embedding doesn't seem to want to work for me)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_V_6A7gD0i4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_V_6A7gD0i4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back