Thoughts on new Stihl 171/181/211

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firecat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been looking for an upgrade from my 015av, and stumbled on these new models on Stihls corporate site. Any info on when they are going to be available in US, pricing, will they put sale prices on outgoing models? Regarding the single bar nut, the site says it is to speed up mounting the bar,chain, and cover. Who cares if you save a few moments, I would rather have two bar nuts. There also was a 230 Duro I think, with a new chain with longer life for occasional users. Hmmm. I was planning on an Echo CS400 but the HD (night job) didn't bestow a christmas coupon on us this year :(
I know an Echo dealer in town, and like their products, but want to weight all options.

If you are looking at a 171/181 then i would also consider the older 170/180 models as they ar lighter with the same power so have a better power to weight ratio. Plus with the new models being out you may get a good deal on the older versions. :)

If you are looking at a 171/181 then i would also consider the older 170/180 models as they ar lighter with the same power so have a better power to weight ratio. Plus with the new models being out you may get a good deal on the older versions. :)

Yep, but the 211 seems to have the edge on the 210......

Retail price for a 210 is $270. And it's about $300 for one with the quick adjust.

When are the ms 171s susposed to come out? I need to get a new small saw and have been thinking about another ms 170 or a husky 235. I had a husky 141 that little thing cut great I never had a moments trouble with it wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. But back on topic what are the specs for the saws there is nothing on the stihl website about them. The only thing I could find on the internet was in German.

These new models might not be available nationwide for a couple months. The distributors still have plenty of 170/180 and 210's so they'll wait until those saws are running out before they'll release the new ones. They do this so dealers don't get stuck with the older saw sitting on the shelf. I asked my rep about them and told me they'd be coming in the spring sometime to us in the Northeast.

I was quoted $290 retail price for a 211 with 16" bar last week.

The 210 at my dealer is $260. If the 211 doesn't stay right there when it is released, then the Dolmar 420 at $289 is a better deal. The 211 does look promising from the specs. The problem now with the 171/181 is they become heavier with no appreciably gain in power.

The 210 at my dealer is $260. If the 211 doesn't stay right there when it is released, then the Dolmar 420 at $289 is a better deal. The 211 does look promising from the specs. The problem now with the 171/181 is they become heavier with no appreciably gain in power.

Yeah but they are CLEAN!!

Running one should make you feel all warm and fuzzy like a tree hugger!

:greenchainsaw: Look at my CLEAN saw man!

Despite the difference in weight the 171/181/211 saws are nicer than what they replace. Less fuel consumption, smoother operation and prefiltration than the outgoing models.

The prices I quoted are just suggested retail. Most any shop would sell them for cheaper, I'd think.

Already have a lot of them in Louisville. Flying off the shelves...plus we have had an ice storm. Shop sold two of them in the 20 minutes I was in there talking to the Stihl tech today. Look neat...

These new models might not be available nationwide for a couple months. The distributors still have plenty of 170/180 and 210's so they'll wait until those saws are running out before they'll release the new ones. They do this so dealers don't get stuck with the older saw sitting on the shelf. I asked my rep about them and told me they'd be coming in the spring sometime to us in the Northeast.

Kind'a the opposite around here with the 440 and the 441. The new 441 sat on the shelves, and the 440s flew. I would expect the same with the additional POUND in weight on the 171 and 181. As the Troll mentioned, the 211 has a tad lighter and a tad more power than the 210. They also all have better AV than the older current models. They will also all have strato-scavanged (air injected) engines.

Back