Thoughts on new Stihl 171/181/211

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the thing I say almost daily! It does well for it's size! However I find it funny however the general public around here wants to compare my PS-350 against an MS-290!:chainsaw: The PS-350 will smoke a 210 however or at least mine does!

And it looks like they are trying to avoid making a 50cc in what we call 'pro style'. They'd rather do a clamshell saw like the 280.

Yep. I want a good AV small saw in the 40-50cc range. Stihl 260 is too buzzy. 270/280 is nice with AV, but are heavy and plastic, and clammy (as you say). I may still get one of those. I have come to dearly hate working on the 1123 saws. Even though I can work on them blind folded. They are just way to much clammy grenadable plastic and take too long to keep up. I have a box of cannibalized parts to keep the two I have running. I do not see why they never made a baby 361 (and I do not mean the 341... geez). :cry:

So looking elsewhere for the 250/260 replacements, Husky 346NE is the dog's ballacks, but I passionately HATE outboard clutches. Dolmar 420 looks good on paper, but zero dealers, parts or support here. May have to cheat their system and get one shipped. But if it fails... *cough* It has the features I want. A tad small, but then the 5100s seems to have issues with carbs and tuning, and all that. :bang:

Actually :agree2::agree2: the 350/420 is really the only true pro small saw out there at this time! I do not consider the stihl a pro or the husky or even the echo saws in that size although echo is probably closer with the 400 model! And I might be ahead of myself when the new 450 echo makes an appearance! But as of today the 350/420 imo rules that class! In the 50cc there are some players with Dolmar and I consider the 460-510-5100 to all be pro grade Husky/Jonsered and Stihl Echo Shindaiwa redmax etc. However bang for the dollar is pretty significant between these guys in the 50cc saw range!

Why not a 211 instead? :confused:

The factory specs don't do this saw justice. The 210 was a nice saw for the wife or 15 yr old son to help out and the firewood cutter who just isn't in a big hurry . The 211 performs like a high performance production saw, limbing mind you but none the less. My only issue is the cradle it rocks in, i've had good luck with stihls plastic cases, the bounce when they hit the ground and the paint doesn' flake off making it look more used than it is, and the throtlle is extremely stiff which is a characteristic and not a defect according to 200ms. Other than that I am really impressed with it.

Just do it already:clap: Anyone checked the compression on these? I'll be surprised if it has the compression and torque of the Dolmar 420 which is also a pro built saw for about the same money.

No comp check yet, was trying to get some more fuel through her. I'll check tonight and post back. I might end up getting another muffler just to play with. As far as the pro saw 420 vs. home owner saw 211, I'll stihl take the 211.

My 211 is a pro saw! I take it to work everyday and use it -today it's to wet. I have prbly 20 tanks in it now and it's turnin 14,000 and running plenty rich, so the 13,500 spec is off a bit. I think it was turnin that off the shelf. Technically a 192 is no commercial grade saw when you take away the top handle yet mine has held up very well.

No comp check yet, was trying to get some more fuel through her. I'll check tonight and post back. I might end up getting another muffler just to play with. As far as the pro saw 420 vs. home owner saw 211, I'll stihl take the 211.

That little turd has some pretty good comp, i'm gonna say 150 to 165. I could be off a bit so let me know.

My 211 is a pro saw!
Pro saw? You call a plastic, clamshelled engine saw a pro saw? If you'r new 211 gets a fuel or oil leak in the tank, you have to replace the entire chassis. It's all one piece of plastic. I don't understand why you guys don't demand more for your money. I love Stihl saws myself. But the homeowner saws are inferior, plain and simple. Sure they cut wood. But they're not built like some of the competition than can be had at a similiar price. Am I beating a dead horse? I sure feel like it. But after you've seen and experience what I have with the homeowner Stihl saws, and then seen and experienced what I have with the competition, it's a no-brainer. Keep throwing your money at Stihl and they'll never change. Most people don't know any better and just buy the brand name. You guys know better and still choose to purchase an inferior product.

As far as the pro saw 420 vs. home owner saw 211, I'll stihl take the 211.
And that's why Stihl doesn't have to sell a better product

That little turd has some pretty good comp, i'm gonna say 150 to 165. I could be off a bit so let me know.
The 420 I tested had 190-200 PSI compression stock.

. You guys know better and still choose to purchase an inferior product.

I got other brands but they can't offer what Stihl does for me. I thought about a 5100 or 346NE but figured a 260 would serve me better since I have extra parts and unrivaled support. I know the other guys have SOME saws that may have more power and be better built but make mine a Stihl please sir! Looking at their new lineup of saws, I doubt I'll switch anytime soon.:D Just preference.....run what ya like.

And for your average home owner that will never work on their own saw and need dealer support, Stihl makes the most sense. But that's not "us". We must purchase to a higher standard, because we know better and demand the best. Right?:cheers: Seriously, I love most all chainsaws. I just prefer to own and run the better product. I do draw the line before spending $500-$600 for a 35-40cc saw though. I won't do that.

And for your average home owner that will never work on their own saw and need dealer support, Stihl makes the most sense. But that's not "us". We must purchase to a higher standard, because we know better and demand the best. Right?:cheers: Seriously, I love most all chainsaws. I just prefer to own and run the better product. I do draw the line before spending $500-$600 for a 35-40cc saw though. I won't do that.

Well said! I didn't even plan a muffler mod for this 211 so porting was out also. If I need a screaming tiny saw, the 026 will work.

Latest posts

Back