Thoughts on towing a vermeer sc252? Yea or nea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I thought about just putting on a hitch and towing my 252 instead of buying a trailer for it . anyone have any experience with this? good or bad idea?

oh and i plan on putting on the extra two wheels for stability

Afaik the duals need to be off, if towed.
Depending on where you live, you may need signals, rear- and breaklights.

I would not like to put any more (vibration) stress on my machine, while tumbling with it around for 1000s of miles, a 252 has no suspension.
Think of a nice roadhole dragging it through. Ouch.

Cheers

Very true marne. i didnt even think about suspension, i was also worried about the wheel bearings being they are only used to going 1 mph. Ha!

Are you talking about towing the machine on ground by itself?

Yes, they can be towed and I believe Vermeer makes a hitch attachment. The wheels and wheel bearing can take it, just the pivot bearing that suffers.
Trailering is more stable and better for the machine.

yes pro , i have seen several people do it locally around town , max speed 50 mph. Talked to someone at vermeer and they said they don't make anything from the factory to do so but it is possible: but not recommended . i guess people do it but i don't think it is financially worth it in the long run now that i weigh out the pros and cons

yes pro , i have seen several people do it locally around town , max speed 50 mph. Talked to someone at vermeer and they said they don't make anything from the factory to do so but it is possible: but not recommended . i guess people do it but i don't think it is financially worth it in the long run now that i weigh out the pros and cons
Sure your not seeing them in the little vermeer trailer that goes with em?

Postive, but looks like I will find a small trailer instead of towing. Not worth the risk

I would even think about towing my machine like that! I pulled my Rayco 1635 Jr. on Rayco FACTORY trailer that has no springs and it beat my machine up terrible, so I can only imagine what towing it on it's own what it would do to it! Plus can't believe it could be safe. Finally wised up and now haul on 6x12 with springs (with plenty room for tools) and can't believe I beat my machine up for 5 years. Shame on you Rayco for building a trailer like that!

not to rehash everything but just got all my manuals from the factory and it says right in the manual you can tow your machine without a trailer. but it states with tow package , which im pretty sure is just lights , 2" hitch, and chains. Thoughts?

Back