Thread repair inserts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks around here seem to think drywall screws are OK. Just found one wound into the case on an upper 044 mount today. Very nice saw. That made me very sad.

Cant help with any tips but will comment on the 12-24 thread size. Very common in the glass and glazing industry. Just about every hinge screw with a machine thread is that size. If you need some countersunk type heads, let me know, might be able to find a few pan heads also. If you have room for an insert can you just drill and tap next size up-1/4-20 or 1/4-28? REJ2

Last edited:
You could buy a solid insert and drill and tap it, if you don't want to use a helicoil.

If you used 10-24 or 10-32 inserts in this application, each of them would provide 700-800 lbs of clamping load in this application. This is likely a place where overkill is not necessary, as long as you only apply 2-3 ft-lbs of torque to the fastener upon assembly. Take a look at this table to see how much clamping load fasteners apply.

http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/sectionD/D48.pdf

A metric M5 fastener is really really close to a 10-32 fastener. You can interchange the nuts in some cases, they are that close. M5's are used all over new Stihls, even the cylinder bolts on a bunch of the saws.

ok here

that like what you need?

The only catch with those is that they're "countersunk". For keyserts I've used before from MSC, you simply drill and tap the hole, thread the insert to where you want it, and then top the locking pins down on the sides. No special installation tools are required, besides a drill and tap. They just don't come in 12-24:(

ksgen.jpg

If you used 10-24 or 10-32 inserts in this application, each of them would provide 700-800 lbs of clamping load in this application. This is likely a place where overkill is not necessary, as long as you only apply 2-3 ft-lbs of torque to the fastener upon assembly. Take a look at this table to see how much clamping load fasteners apply.

http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/sectionD/D48.pdf

A metric M5 fastener is really really close to a 10-32 fastener. You can interchange the nuts in some cases, they are that close. M5's are used all over new Stihls, even the cylinder bolts on a bunch of the saws.

These are #12. How about going with 6mm then? I actually have a couple 6mm keyserts here. Hmmm.

The nice thing about using a #10 is you would not have to drill it as much oversize to start, leaving yourself some room in case one fails.

You could rethread a M4 or maybe M5 insert to 12-24.

Here is a 5/16" solid insert.

The M4 and M5 insert uses a 8mm tap, close to 5/16", the M6 insert use a 10mm or 12mm tap.

Last edited:
You could rethread a M4 or maybe M5 insert to 12-24.

Here is a 5/16" solid insert.

The M4 and M5 insert uses a 8mm tap, close to 5/16", the M6 insert use a 10mm or 12mm tap.

I like the idea of retapping the M5. What was the PN on the solid insert? The link doesn't work?

Thanks for bearing with me guys. I just went and checked, and was able to tap them out to 1/4-20. Guess I was making this harder than it needed to be. Thanks for the good ideas though.

Brad,

Just use helicoil's. You can put red locktight on it if you are afraid of it backing out on the screw.

Look on amazon for the best price on helicoil kits.

What do you have against using the helicoil.

How much stronger does one need?

Brad,

Just use helicoil's. You can put red locktight on it if you are afraid of it backing out on the screw.

Look on amazon for the best price on helicoil kits.

What do you have against using the helicoil.

They're fine, but solid inserts are better.

I've used a lot of H-coils when I was working in the tool room at the thermoforming Co. They lasted many of "in and outs" of the bolts. That's a lot more wear and tear the saw bolts are going to see.

Nothing wrong with H-coils. They are stronger than the orginal thread. How much stronger does one need?

Back