Three 20" X 3/8" saws and a Chinese Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w8ye

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had a Chinese Elm that was dead in the top limbs but the trunk was still green. The tree was 38 yrs old and was around 16" DBH. There was no doubt as to which way it would fall as it had grown more to the West due to shading towards the East. No problem as the site was clear towards the West.

I had THREE SAWS that I wanted to use . . .

I was most interested in my Husky 357XP 57cc as it is a early 2008 model and has the notorious Walbro HDA-199B carburetor. It has a 20" Husqvarna 3/8" H45 chain. This saw starts very easy and idles great but if the throttle is held steady at mid range, the engine will lean out and quit unless you go to full throttle or to idle. So I used this saw to drop the tree. In actual cutting use, you would never know there was a high speed nozzle check valve problem with the carb? The fuel mixture was just right in the cut as it was just into 2 cycle while cutting and with the slightest pressure let up, it would four stroke. It did so nice, I did the first bucking cut with it also. Needless to say, I had removed the tabs on the needle valves to reset the mixture.

Next saw up was a 1997 Dolmar 6000iH 60cc with the original 20" X 3/8" bar with Stihl RSC chain. I did a couple bucking cuts with it and the mixture was just right on this saw also. Nice saw with plenty of power but heavier than the other saws partially due to the heated handle set up.

Then the 2010 Dolmar 5105 50cc had its turn and it has the factory supplied 20" X 3/8" bar and Windsor 50A chain. This saw is smaller than the other two but it seemed to have plenty of power in bucking cuts as the bar wasn't completely buried. This saw still has the CAT muffler. Didn't notice anything about the muffler being hot as I was busy with using the saw. The carb needles are against the limiter stops rich.

NOODLE TIME

The trunk sections were 16" long. All three did well cutting and clearing the noodles but you could tell which had more power and it went with the displacement of the engine. The clutch seemed to be more of the limit on the Dolmar 5105 than the engine itself?

SAW OPERATIONAL COMPARISON

The Dolmar 6000i has the Tillotson injector choke type carburetor so it starts and runs with the choke on but you control the ignition switch, choke lever, and fast idle separately. Saw started 2nd pull cold and first pulls warm. There is no compression release. I have to start it on the ground but my son does the drop start on it even when cold.

The Husky 357 has the system where you pull the choke out and it turns on the ignition and sets the fast idle. This engine also has a compression release. It is good about starting. To warm start, pull out the choke and push it back it in before starting.

The Dolmar 5105 has a choke, ignition, fast idle setup like the Husky but no compression release. The starter cord pulls hard. But the saw must have a super ignition as it will fire to just pull it through one stroke. The engine has a very low idle, so low in fact, you will think it is going to quit but it doesn't. I have to start it on the ground.

I like all three saws

I do like Dolmar saw's, that's probably why I got five of them, although not as impressed with the Makita type a bit to much plastic for my liking, but I guess there all like that now!

Sounds like a lot of fun! IMHO, my Husky 350 is great for the lighter stuff .... but my Dolmar has the brass stones! I'm using a Stihl chain on it (they ARE the best, BTW) and it feels like a light sabre!
:yoyo:

Back