Three down - ? to go...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question is the same has Uncle's, why did the big trees come down? I'm no tree hugger but I see a lot of easy firewood in the backgrounds of those pictures.

Just go down to the local Stihl dealer in about 30-40 days and pick you up a new 440 when they are re-releashed. It's all you need for that size wood. It'll make a nice combo with your 026. Those kind of tops are our bread and butter.

I hope your right. I asked my local dealer and he's a good dealer couple shops been ion the biz a long time. He called his Stihl rep and was told that wasn't true. I hope the rep doesn't know what he's talking about.

Scott

My question is the same has Uncle's, why did the big trees come down? I'm no tree hugger but I see a lot of easy firewood in the backgrounds of those pictures.

A large share of what you see in the "background" is Box Elder and American Elm, with some Maple, Cherry and Walnut sprinkled in. There's also probably 3 or 4 dozen Red, White and Bur Oak standing about. The 3 Bur Oak I felled were starting to turn, getting dead branches, hollow spots, etc. Still have a couple more picked to hit the ground along with a very, very large Sugar Maple... And besides, I want a pile of Oak splits for the stove and there ain't any "little" Oaks on my place. The grove runs about a third mile to the north and about a half mile to the south of my house, with low areas/waterways running through. Those trees weren't anywhere close to a spot where anyone could ever enjoy them... heck you can't even see 'em from the house or the road.

They were just firewood to me. And it opens up the canopy, which will hopefully allow some new Oak growth.

That's just fine by me spider, I was just curious. Those Oaks are a bit more numerous in NE Iowa than here in Northern Illinois, we have a grove of Bur Oaks that I won't get anywhere near with a saw!

Latest posts

Back