Threw a needle bearing on 261CM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toppers

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just started up my 261CM after a winter break. Made 4-5 good cuts and then it siezed, chain was off the bar. Took the side cover off to find the needle bearing and retainer clip went to the moon, nowhere to be found. Did this cause any damage? What could cause this? Never had a clip come off like this, obviously it was installed because I made several cuts.

I’ve seen the clips break before, had one saw lose the bearing and noticed before the clutch fully seized up. Threw a new bearing and clip in and it ran fine. Maybe put it together with new parts and just rotate with your hand to see if anything feels like it’s catching

I replace any e clip that I can rotate easily on the crank. Use only OEM clips. They are thicker and last longer.
Grease the needle bearing. Check the clutch springs while you are there. Also look for any binding on reassembly.
And last, but not least, replace the sprocket if worn excessively.

I seem to remember very early 261CMs having some sort of clutch drum/bearing issue. I worked at a place that had two...it seemed at least one was in the shop all the time. I was not paying a lot of attention, as my assigned saw that year was something else.

Anyone else remember that problem?

Roy

Latest posts

Back