throwline bag tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SINGLE-JACK

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Throwline bags are GREAT for storing and throwing line. But, a real pain to 'stuff', especially when working in the crown. Has anyone got any neat tricks to stuff 200' of 1/8" into the bag. The fishermen line strippers don't work in mid-line.

Buy a throwline cube from sherrill tree. You wont regret it. But get the 50 dollar one cause they are sturdy.

And if your in the tree and trying to advance your line or something like that you can go to bass pro shop and get a fly fishing reel and put about 50ft of zingit on there. Just pull out 20 or 30 ft of line and trhow you bag up over the crotch you want, then after you set your line just reel up your throwline and clip the fly reel on your saddle and continue working.

Last edited:
got a cube for throwing from the ground - you're right, they're great. But, I carry the small bag in the tree for re-crotching, redirecting and some rigging. Sittin' on a branch and stuffing the line is relaxing but too time consuming. Just hoping someone had some better ideas.

Last edited:
fly fishing reel seems like a nice trick - I'll give it a try - thanks.

It's still a challenge to find a good way to stuff the line mug.

It only took me a few times to figure it out but I came up with a foolproof method of getting the line put away. Its so simple, I can't believe it myself.

Get someone else to do it. Set your line and run the hell up there saying all the awhile " put it back just like I showed you, sucker".

Why not consider a second shorter line for canopy work , and how often do you fire in the best working crotch from the ground, cut that 200 fter into one 150 and one 50 , throwline are often a waste of time topside I would rather a 16 ft hanger pole for rope advance

Not to get way off base but I got 1000' of this stuff from a friend in the utilities company they use it to pull underground cable. The stuff is slick strong as heck and works well as through line. I have it cut in to various lengths and take a few in the tree with me just for shorter repositioning it works great and the price was right. If you have any contacts in that line of work ask them about it they seldom reuse it once its been through a line. Works well for putting tension on smaller trees also dont have to bother pulling a rope up just toss it up and tie it off.

its called Mule Tape

http://www.newtechindustries.com/newtech/premier_telecom/neptco_mule_tape.htm

Short rope would be a way better option. A little more work but I bet you get done quicker than trying to get all set up and moved around with a throw ball.

It only took me a few times to figure it out but I came up with a foolproof method of getting the line put away. Its so simple, I can't believe it myself.

Get someone else to do it. Set your line and run the hell up there saying all the awhile " put it back just like I showed you, sucker".

Ditto that...

Short rope would be a way better option. A little more work but I bet you get done quicker than trying to get all set up and moved around with a throw ball.

Ditto that, too...use the hook on your pole saw to advance the snap or take lassoing lessons

anyone tried or seen in use that battery operated throw-line flaking device? the description says it can flake line into an aluminum can opening.

I got one of those things (that's what I referred to as "fisherman's line stripper"). They're cheap but have one flaw for throwline work. If you look close they all have a 'closed' hole to feed the line. So, you have to run the line through it from end to end. There's no way to 'hook' into the middle of a line. They're great for stipping all the line off a fishing real and for moving ALL of a line from one place to another. But, as I found out, they're not very useful for managing throwline.

If you get one, shop around and get the most powerful model (biggest batteries). Sherrill's model looks like a Berkley with C-cells. There are several other models available. The one I got by Berkley (AA-cells) is made for light fishing line. It does a passable job of flaking throwline onto a tarp or into a cube. But, the heavier throwline tends to stall the motor. By the time I get the thing out, thread the line, deal with the stalling motor, put it away, fool with the batteries, etc. ... I can flake the line just as fast without it.

If you get one, shop around and get the most powerful model (biggest batteries). Sherrill's model looks like a Berkley with C-cells. There are several other models available. The one I got by Berkley (AA-cells) is made for light fishing line. It does a passable job of flaking throwline onto a tarp or into a cube. But, the heavier throwline tends to stall the motor. By the time I get the thing out, thread the line, deal with the stalling motor, put it away, fool with the batteries, etc. ... I can flake the line just as fast without it.

yeah, i can see that. can you flake it into a small hip bag as fast though? its easy to flake it into a cube or large bag or bucket, not so much with smaller things tho

And if your in the tree and trying to advance your line or something like that you can go to bass pro shop and get a fly fishing reel and put about 50ft of zingit on there. Just pull out 20 or 30 ft of line and trhow you bag up over the crotch you want, then after you set your line just reel up your throwline and clip the fly reel on your saddle and continue working.

I use one. An automatic winding reel by shakespeare. Look on ebay for them I think you can get one for around $10.

My bullseye line only fit around 30' on it though, but it is great for retrieving rigging lines. Attach it to your harnes in some sort of break-away fashion, clip a mini biner onto your rigging line (with the throwline connected to the mini biner). After the line is untied from the load on the ground, just hit the retrieve button on the reel and the line comes right back to you.

I very rarely use a throwline in the tree. If I see where I am going to need to double crotch I'll set the line from the ground. If I need to advance my line while I'm in the tree I'll use a pole saw. No one touches my throwline. I get irate when I have to spend an hour getting knots out of it after someone has "flaked" it into the bag or cube.

really like the idea of a fly reel (automatic or not) - stopped on the way home at a local fishing/sport store - they had 3 last year, didn't sell them, they sent them back - so, still looking.

I don't like anyone messin' with my gear either - big bags & cubes are easy - still looking for a good trick to stuff a small bag without having someone else do it.

The fly reel is very handy when you can use it. I dont use mine very often, but when i need it its very handy. Just be careful not to smash it. I bent mine somehow and now gotta get a new one.

Throwline bags are GREAT for storing and throwing line. But, a real pain to 'stuff', especially when working in the crown. Has anyone got any neat tricks to stuff 200' of 1/8" into the bag. The fishermen line strippers don't work in mid-line.

i put my line tamer into the band saw and cut a groove in the top, allowing for midline running. the dern thing is still a piece of crap tho lol.

Latest posts

Back