Throwline :how many hands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throwline: one or two handed

• Single Hand

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Two handed(Cradle)

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Forget I've got a BIgShot!

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Whats a throwline?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rob Murphy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just curious what style people use and why.
I use the two handed style....IMHO I feel I get more accuracy and more power.Not much use for in tree throwing but mosty I rope throw in the tree.

I am much more accurate with one hand up to about 50ft, beyond that I can blast the bag up about 75ft with 2 hands. Using the 2 handed method I have to be almost right under the crotch I am trying to hit, single handed I can back up a little more.
Greg

One handed for when I don't use the BS. I'll try one or two shots justfpr practice even if I intend to use the BS. Getting luckier all the time on that first shot:cool:

And can get the untraind to set a line so much faster.

I got chronc tendonitis in my shoulder, throwing agrivates it.

I don't see trowing as a primary skill. A polesaw can be a crutch for a poor climber, cant see a similar argument for the BS.

I can't always get a good angle on them :D And hey, I'm not even seven feet tall!:p

The skill is one of those subconsouse muscle memory things. Like the top atheleats, picturing the ball going where they want it beore the throw.

Look at the limb, picture the throw, the arc, the ball dropping over the limb. Mabe go through the motions a few times, them make the throw.

One handed - this is central Texas - no pines. Nothing very tall. Mainly massive, wide oaks. Therefore, I am more focused on accuracy than distance.

Two handed for me, most of the time. It is what I've done the most, so I'm better at it... and that is sometimes ok, other days frustrating....

Dan Kraus uses a side arm method to deliver the line a long way up there with great accuracy. I have never practiced it enuf to learn how he does it.

I have to make lots of long throws into conifers with many obstacles, and need to hit tiny targets, ie crotches at the trunk that dont grow upwards, very hard... so the BS comes out most of the time.

And, even with Zing-It, the pouch needs to weigh 16 oz to guarantee it coming down, lots of frictiony surfaces up there. It is hard to shoot over 90 feet with the 16 oz. I havent broken out the 1.75 mm Zing-It yet, that should help. Rarely need to shoot higher than 80 or so anyhow.

Mike........ Thwap....... Leave my Bucket truck and My bigshot Alone :p I throw with one Finger ...... Right Below the POuch on the Big Shot :D

Two handed.

Seems like the big shot would be useful for blasting through suckers/twigs/squirrels, when the regular throwline just bounces off these.

Back