Tie off knots for srt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of hazards, I guess I wasn't clear enough in my response to the tie-off you're showing Adkpk. Once around the trunk is not sufficient, around twice, cross it on the back and use a Rapide Mallion delta screwlink not a carabiner. There will be no problem if the system is slacked. Please do not climb on the tie-off you are showing again, it is potentially dangerous. There is no need to take that risk.
-moss

Sorry 'bout that, not trying to get all fancy on you, I had it wrong anyway, mine is stamped "Mallion Rapide", $7.95 from New Tribe, Delta Screwlink. Don't use the China non-rated/hardware store version for life support use.
-moss

also using "Mallion Rapide" from New Tribe, Delta Screwlink
mine is the stainless version on my New Tribe saddle

no way I'd use non-rated screwlinks or any other non rated hardware for lifeline duties.

I won't argue with the wisdom of using a rated piece of equipment, but a 1/2" screw-link is so much stronger than a carabiner it's not worth second guessing. Even a cheapo is way stronger than the very best carabiner. They are commonly used to unite broken chains and to secure emergency chains on trailers. I have never managed to break one, although it's easy to make them so the threads don't unscrew.

Given a choice, the screw link is better in every respect except ease of use.

I won't argue with the wisdom of using a rated piece of equipment, but a 1/2" screw-link is so much stronger than a carabiner it's not worth second guessing. Even a cheapo is way stronger than the very best carabiner. They are commonly used to unite broken chains and to secure emergency chains on trailers. I have never managed to break one, although it's easy to make them so the threads don't unscrew.

Given a choice, the screw link is better in every respect except ease of use.

Mostly true about hardware store screwlinks except a friend broke a non-rated "Made in China" 10mm screwlink while tensioning a high traverse setup. That was a real eye opener.
-moss

Mostly true about hardware store screwlinks except a friend broke a non-rated "Made in China" 10mm screwlink while tensioning a high traverse setup. That was a real eye opener.
-moss

Was that 10mm on the shank, or 10mm on the wrench that fits it?

What was he pulling on it with, and what was it attached to; 100' up in a 200' Douglas fir?

another vote for a running bowline or figure 8, both with triple fisherman backup.

anytime I can use one less piece of gear... that's one less possible point of failure.

Was that 10mm on the shank, or 10mm on the wrench that fits it?

What was he pulling on it with, and what was it attached to; 100' up in a 200' Douglas fir?

10mm on the shank, it was in old-growth, don't know if it was doug fir or redwood. I don't know the details of what MA was involved if any, just that it popped during tensioning.
-moss

another vote for a running bowline or figure 8, both with triple fisherman backup.

anytime I can use one less piece of gear... that's one less possible point of failure.

I don't use hardware either these days but wanted to show the various possibilities. For the trunk tie Adkpk showed I would go around the trunk twice, cross in back, running bowline to capture, backed with double overhand. I leave plenty of tail so a triple overhand isn't needed. The triple overhand covers the possibility of the core slipping through the knot which makes sense if you don't have much tail after the knot. Reality of trunk ties is that the bowline never loosens anyway but it's not much effort to back it up.
-moss

Latest posts

Back