Tillotson Hs260 speed ret ball

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md1486

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Do someone know a way so that my idle screw stop falling from vibration? I have lost the idle speed screw ret ball that keeps the idle screw in place. Im in canada and this small ball is like 8$ with 15$ of shipping. Thanks
E295737D-6842-4C2F-9B6B-1D87F15F9F07.jpeg

Try a chunk of anything nylon... Like a piece of suitably sized round trimmer line, large fishing line, etc.?
Thanks for the idea, this is my first carb with a ball like that. Is the ball only supposed to squeeze between the screw and the side of the carb ? Or this ball is supposed to be “clip” there ?

Thanks for the idea, this is my first carb with a ball like that. Is the ball only supposed to squeeze between the screw and the side of the carb ? Or this ball is supposed to be “clip” there ?
The ball or whatever is a friction creating device. Other carbs have used nylon gizmos for similar application. While a "ball" shape may hold better with the needle removed just about anything suitably sized should keep the screw (and itself) from coming out. Keep in mind that the nylon has to be "fat" enough for the idle screw to form "threads" in it.

Try blue loctite.
Im back from hardware store with blue loctite, this is the first time Im gonna use it. How would you proceed ? If I put loctite before tuning carb I'll not be able to adjust idle screw afterwards, right ? And I cannot adjust carb with an idle screw that falls off. Thx

As mentioned, I prefer trimmer line. I have some cylindrical green stihl line that works great. It is smaller in diameter than the bore in the idle screw boss. I heat the line up with a gun until it starts to puff up. Push it in the hole once it cools off and trim flush. Screw with thread in and bite into the line. It provides superior friction given the larger surface area mating with the threads. Allows for adjustment afterwards.

Some earlier HS carbs with that same adjustment screw had no provision for an integrated retainer ball. I've resorted to trimming down needle springs and using washers to hold them.

As mentioned, I prefer trimmer line. I have some cylindrical green stihl line that works great. It is smaller in diameter than the bore in the idle screw boss. I heat the line up with a gun until it starts to puff up. Push it in the hole once it cools off and trim flush. Screw with thread in and bite into the line. It provides superior friction given the larger surface area mating with the threads. Allows for adjustment afterwards.

Some earlier HS carbs with that same adjustment screw had no provision for an integrated retainer ball. I've resorted to trimming down needle springs and using washers to hold them.

I have tried with green stihl line but the hole seems a bit large. I didnt think about heating the line. Good idea. I have already put loctite on the thread though, if it doesnt work im gonna try the heated line. Thanks

Latest posts

Back